SeekGod.ca Discussion Forum
Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Printable Version

+- SeekGod.ca Discussion Forum (http://www.seekgod.ca/forum)
+-- Forum: Discussion Boards (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Christianity (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ (/showthread.php?tid=258)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Mark - 04-20-2009 08:45 AM

Good morning everyone!

I have been out of church for about 4 months now. Without getting too involved as to why, I will simply say that it was a Oneness Pentecostal church and I was there for 7 years and felt that their doctrines were not exactly "God inspired" and that I felt led to leave.
I am wanting to get back into a church, but I am having a hard time finding one that I feel is where I need to be. A lot has to do with what many denominations believe. One of the big ones for me is tithing.:what: Many churches believe in it and I personally do not. 6785
I guess what I want to know is am I being disobedient to God for not attending a church? Am I rebelling? Am I cut off from him? 14294::Am I not pleasing Him? That sounds like a lot of questions, but it's weighing heavy on my heart these days. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. :what:Any encouragement, advice is very welcome. Have a great day!

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Emjesown - 04-20-2009 10:37 AM

Hello

I have the same problem ( sort off)
I left my baptist church as a member last month.
I still wanna go there now and then
but also to other churches here and not every week.
I wanna go to pentecostal, reformed, full gospel and sometimes to my "old"church.
And see whathappens
I don t thinki want to be a member anywhere from now on.
Just visit as a guest.
Its difficult, because many chuches have part truth.
but what they fill in themselves ???
hmmm

EMJE

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - 4given - 04-20-2009 11:29 AM

I have the same problem too - if there's alpha - then we won't touch it - plus if they have monthy ecumenical prayer meetings - we won't touch it. The the rest are all purpose driven around here or charis and they all seem to sing modern chorus/hymns - my dh can't cope with that overload of modernity - we cringed in our seats the day someone used the message bible No2 My dh loves the psalms, and hymns and anything out of the Sankey Hymnal so as long as there is a balance in music he would be happy but sadly thats not the case. But if a church was sound doctrinally - the modern music would not matter to him and he would compromise on that.

I would have to travel 70 mile round trip to get to a decent church - not completely what we would like but preaches the gospel - but we only go now and again as its just too far to travel each week. I do really do miss the fellowship - but I won't compromise and go somewhere that is not sound.

Mark - just keep praying that the Lord will lead you in the right direction - it is difficult - sometimes we stayed in a church for 6-8 months to see if it was the right place for us - in one church we did not last the whole service! You will never find the perfect church -I've dicovered that - but if you can find a church where the gospel message is presented with no false teaching then stay there and give it quite a few months before you make your mind up about it being the right place for you.

Some ministries have sermons on MP3 on the internet that you can listen to between now and when you find the right church.

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Liberated by Faith - 04-20-2009 12:21 PM

(04-20-2009 08:45 AM)Mark Wrote:  Good morning everyone!

I have been out of church for about 4 months now. Without getting too involved as to why, I will simply say that it was a Oneness Pentecostal church and I was there for 7 years and felt that their doctrines were not exactly "God inspired" and that I felt led to leave.
I am wanting to get back into a church, but I am having a hard time finding one that I feel is where I need to be. A lot has to do with what many denominations believe. One of the big ones for me is tithing.:what: Many churches believe in it and I personally do not. 6785
I guess what I want to know is am I being disobedient to God for not attending a church? Am I rebelling? Am I cut off from him? 14294::Am I not pleasing Him? That sounds like a lot of questions, but it's weighing heavy on my heart these days. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. :what:Any encouragement, advice is very welcome. Have a great day!
Scripture declares we should be in Church.

Quote:Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
Paul encourages us here to assemble. There is strength in unity.
Quote:Ecclesiastes 4:12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
When the enemy attacks, it is easier to defend when others are defending with you.

This day and age, one is not going to find a perfect Church. If one does find a perfect Church, one better not go there or he will mess it up.

My wife and I also do not believe in tithing... for strong Biblical reasons. But the Church we attend does believe in it. We give offerings instead of tithes. And if people talk, they talk.

I encourage you to go to Church, worship with other members of the Body of Christ, and when the offering plate is passed, give cheerfully an offering to the Lord.

You will be blessed.

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Vic - 04-20-2009 03:28 PM

(04-20-2009 08:45 AM)Mark Wrote:  Good morning everyone!

Hi Mark,

I have heard from many people who have left churches because of finally understanding what was being taught was not of the Scriptures. Some hang on and try to refute it, but in most cases, its not accepted.

Part of growing in Christ is being able to test those things and know whether they are of God. It is part of maturing in ourselves, with our relationship with Christ. And obedience to Him. It definitely does not mean you are cut off from God. Nor does it mean you are disobedient in seeking to find a fellowship that is sound in the faith. It is not an easy task. I hear from people from all over world who struggle to find one. They aren't being picky in the sense it has to be perfect. It merely needs to preach from the Scriptures and live Christ.

Looking for a solid church home is not the same as rejecting church and fellow believers. In other words, your desire says you want to be with true believers who desire to live for Christ and weigh things to the Word of God, and you are not willing to compromise with junk doctrine just to have fellowship. And that is a good thing.

It can take time to find a fellowship that you have peace about being there. Just remember that Jesus said,

Mat 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

The Church is the body of believers worldwide. Some have told me they do fellowship online. Others, who are uncomfortable with available church choices, join Bible studies or, start their own, and reach out to unbelievers and develop ministries of sharing Christ.

In reality we all are to have a ministry in reaching others for Christ. Many will sit in a pew and never grow past feeding themselves. And growth is stunted. The saints are to be equipped in the churches and then as each matures they are fit for serving and doing the things God has purposed for them.

It doesn't mean we go it alone. We go with Christ first, and then share Him where He will take us. And if it takes time to find a fellowship to join, consider the time with Him, the sweetest fellowship.

Colossians 3:15-17 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. 16. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17. And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Ephesians 5:19-20 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 20. Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Coffeebath

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - sheep wrecked - 04-20-2009 05:18 PM

Thanx for starting a good thread, Mark! And the responses are really great, too! 14934

I will throw in my 2c worth.

I have not been to church in about 5 years. And to be honest, I do not miss it one bit, which I will explain.

I was raised in a very traditional evangelical denomination and went to church my whole life - twice on Sundays and to other programs whenever they were available. I served there for most of my life - 46 yrs worth. I taught sunday school, sang in the choir, did nursery, did outreach mission work [at drive-in church for 25 years], etc. I helped out in many different areas. I was raised believing the church was how you related to God, and serving Him there, fulfilled Biblical mandate.

Then one day, that all changed. I discovered that I was serving God, but I had not committed my life to Him. He turned me around on my ear, so to speak, and I have not been the same since.

Through the next several years I went to many churches seeking "truth", which led me down a very destructive spiritual path. After finally getting "clean" of all the junk teachings I had consumed - by the grace of God, I quit going to church.

This is my "beef" - not that I am also to blame for following after heresy by the boatload, but for all the "catechism" and sunday school teaching, studies, and preaching there was no good solid scriptural instruction as to why Jesus died. By that I mean no in-depth study of why I believed what I did about His sacrifice and why His death was so important or to prove His deity - or even what the term "New Covenant" actually means! It seems that the emphasis of church is tithing and programs.

Part of those years of "prodigal" - away from Scriptural Truth - was spent in two different "pig pens" of deception. But, I was convinced that the corn husks I was eating was real good food. So my question, after being back "home" is why wasn't I taught about the false stuff out there?

Especially HR. It's an explosive movement making tremendous inroads into the church and snatching people out by the car loads. So why are the churches not teaching about this stuff? I even wrote to some of my former pastors and offered to come and show them. I never got one response back.

My personal opinion is that the church [church at large > organized religion - not the bride of Christ] has failed. Maybe it was never designed to be something different? It seems that God uses the church, but ultimately, the church is not about furthering the Kingdom of God as much as it is about furthering a place to serve herself.

I just know you are going to ask me about fellowship Thinking2 God has been good. I have lots of friends on the net. Some are real good friends and we are on the same page spiritually. God is always bringing people that I can share with - so very cool! In real life, I just let Him bring people to me that need love, attention, care, direction - whatever. Perhaps that has filled the "void" of social activity for me. Or maybe I just don't need it like some people do. I often wonder why the social end becomes more important than the spiritual Thinking2

Anyway - that's where I'm at presently :tomatoes:

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Rose of Shushan - 04-20-2009 05:47 PM

I am one of those who don't have a "church" either. I agree wholeheartedly with what Vic posted there.
I think for us in this day and age church tends to be associated with meeting together once or twice a week, with all having the common element of some singing/worshipping and reading from the scriptures.Throw in the practice of communion in some of these churches.
While it would be nice for me to do this with other believers it isn’t to me what I think its all about.
I think like Vic said we should be all having some sort of ministry where we are sharing the word of God and the good news other days a week.

Quote:In reality we all are to have a ministry in reaching others for Christ. Many will sit in a pew and never grow past feeding themselves. And growth is stunted. The saints are to be equipped in the churches and then as each matures they are fit for serving and doing the things God has purposed for them.

That’s what its all about! Go and teach all nations as Jesus said. Seek the lost ,hungry,suffering and hurting.It doesn't bother me at all that I don't have a church.I have online fellowship and reach out a lot to people through that media. I also reach out in other ways.That to me is what "church " is about .Meeting with others and discussing strategies of how best to serve /defend the gospel/encouraging one another etc etc-that’s my church .

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Mark - 04-21-2009 08:45 AM

Wow! I didn't think that I would get so many responses! This is awesome! Thanks to all who wrote back!
I just want to say that I hope no one has the impression that I am seeking the "perfect church" for waht I myself believe. That is not what I want. I know that in a church (the assembling of believers, not the body of Christ), there will always be things that I may not agree with. I can get past those things. It's the way that I was made to feel that I had to "measure up" to what the church believed in order to be part of the "family". And of course, I never did. I was accepted into the "family" but I was always feeling that I was doing something wrong because I questioned certain things that were taught. I guess I got tired of hearing
"because that's what we believe and that's what it means" and then studying and finding otherwise. I felt that I was going to hell even though I was serving God to the best of my ability. I was actually told that if I did not tithe, I would not get to heaven because that made me a thief and theives do not go to heaven. I know otherwise now of course.
So I am just waiting on the Lord right now. I know that He has a plan for me. If it means I do not go to an actual church, so be it. As long as it's His will, I will do waht He wants. So, I am so thankful for this site and the many participants here. Thank you all so much for helping me find the truth in areas I have questions about. Have a great day and God bless you all!

Mark

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Princess of Heaven - 04-29-2009 04:35 PM

what a blessing this thread has been for me, thank you...

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Vic - 04-29-2009 05:01 PM

(04-29-2009 04:35 PM)Princess of Heaven Wrote:  what a blessing this thread has been for me, thank you...

Friend So glad we can edify and encourage one another. Cheer

Rom 14:19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

Ephesians 4:15-16 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 16. From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Smiles_pinkbounce