SeekGod.ca Discussion Forum
Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Printable Version

+- SeekGod.ca Discussion Forum (http://www.seekgod.ca/forum)
+-- Forum: Discussion Boards (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Christianity (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ (/showthread.php?tid=258)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Dee - 06-26-2010 04:18 PM

(04-20-2009 05:18 PM)sheep wrecked Wrote:  Thanx for starting a good thread, Mark! And the responses are really great, too! 14934

Part of those years of "prodigal" - away from Scriptural Truth - was spent in two different "pig pens" of deception. But, I was convinced that the corn husks I was eating was real good food. So my question, after being back "home" is why wasn't I taught about the false stuff out there?

My personal opinion is that the church [church at large > organized religion - not the bride of Christ] has failed. Maybe it was never designed to be something different? It seems that God uses the church, but ultimately, the church is not about furthering the Kingdom of God as much as it is about furthering a place to serve herself.

I just know you are going to ask me about fellowship Thinking2 God has been good. I have lots of friends on the net. Some are real good friends and we are on the same page spiritually. God is always bringing people that I can share with - so very cool! In real life, I just let Him bring people to me that need love, attention, care, direction - whatever. Perhaps that has filled the "void" of social activity for me. Or maybe I just don't need it like some people do. I often wonder why the social end becomes more important than the spiritual Thinking2

Anyway - that's where I'm at presently :tomatoes:

The pastor's wife I am having a discussion with (who said we are sinning by not meeting together as a "church"), says also that we don't need to learn all the false stuff out there, because if we just knew the truth we would know the false because it doesn't match... also that even meeting as friends together in a house, wouldn't qualify as a real "church" meeting. I'm guessing that means paid heirarchy is missing? Crowd

It is freeing that we can 'love our neighbor' by following the leading of the Holy Spirit instead of by church programming. My husband is an extrovert, and enjoys socializing (being the 'life' of the party), which I am thinking is the real reason why we went to church, because I knew even then I had to reteach the gospel at home, correctly.

Quote: pastor_chris Wrote:
The church IS the Body of Christ whether you like it or not.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Vic,

An internet community is not a body of believers. There is no accountability, no church leadership, and there is no way to measure whether or not you are producing fruit. The apostles would be horrifed at the thought that people would reject the assemblying together of the saints to correspond on the internet. This is false teaching.

Actually Chris, they would be thrilled that believers encourage one another and are brought together-aka assembling-- because of unity of the Holy Spirit. To talk, and fellowship and share Jesus Christ. And to hold one another accountable if that is an issue--if the person is receptive. Key ingredient to that issue.

We are assembling Chris. Spiritually, emotionally and physically--just not with our bodies. Just not how you do--except wait--you are here with us.

About 10 yrs ago our church Pastor told me that praying together on an online forum or chat would not produce results because it was "fake prayers"... hmm

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - sheep wrecked - 06-26-2010 09:38 PM

(06-26-2010 04:18 PM)Dee Wrote:  The pastor's wife I am having a discussion with (who said we are sinning by not meeting together as a "church"), says also that we don't need to learn all the false stuff out there, because if we just knew the truth we would know the false because it doesn't match... also that even meeting as friends together in a house, wouldn't qualify as a real "church" meeting. I'm guessing that means paid heirarchy is missing? Crowd

That was funny Biggrin paid hierarchy Smiley-computer5

Quote:It is freeing that we can 'love our neighbor' by following the leading of the Holy Spirit instead of by church programming. My husband is an extrovert, and enjoys socializing (being the 'life' of the party), which I am thinking is the real reason why we went to church, because I knew even then I had to reteach the gospel at home, correctly.

I wonder if people realize there was no "church" for most people in the NT. They met in homes. Later there were formal settings, but realistically, the Gospel is meant to be shared and lived out as we go about our daily lives. Which is more functional to show the love of Christ? Going out into all the world or expecting the world to come to church Th_ththink

I see the organized church as a system that is more about being on the same team and huddling in the locker room and hearing the pep talks, but never actually going out on the field.

Quote:About 10 yrs ago our church Pastor told me that praying together on an online forum or chat would not produce results because it was "fake prayers"... hmm

I guess he forgot that Paul said - I am with you in Spirit ... and he wrote that from far away Biggrin

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Vic - 06-26-2010 10:10 PM

(06-26-2010 04:18 PM)Dee Wrote:  The pastor's wife I am having a discussion with (who said we are sinning by not meeting together as a "church"), says also that we don't need to learn all the false stuff out there, because if we just knew the truth we would know the false because it doesn't match... also that even meeting as friends together in a house, wouldn't qualify as a real "church" meeting. I'm guessing that means paid heirarchy is missing? Crowd

It is freeing that we can 'love our neighbor' by following the leading of the Holy Spirit instead of by church programming. My husband is an extrovert, and enjoys socializing (being the 'life' of the party), which I am thinking is the real reason why we went to church, because I knew even then I had to reteach the gospel at home, correctly.

We absolutely need to know Scripture-it's the Sword of Spirit and our defense and it's how we discern between good and evil. By reason of use...

Hebrews 5:13-14 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 14. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

But we also know that

1Co 11:18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
1Co 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

In other words, being able to recognise the heresies actually confirms those who are believers--and its all based on Scriptural truth.

I believe when people are growing in Christ and maturing that God has purpose for them and it isnt to be sitting in a pew doing nothing but take in-although many think thats living for Christ. We are all called to share Christ and it sounds to me that your husband has the ability to share Christ easily. I believe we are all called to a ministry--it might be visiting shutins, it might be writing letters, etc. It might be simply helping someone. BUt sharing Christ is what we are all called to.

Quote:About 10 yrs ago our church Pastor told me that praying together on an online forum or chat would not produce results because it was "fake prayers"... hmm

25r30wi Sorry that was my first reaction. So could we also say praying at a prayer meeting outloud might also be unfruitful because of 'fake' and long winded prayers? Sort of like the prayers one often hears from pulpits? or meetings?

Mark 12:38-40 And he said unto them in his doctrine, Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces, 39. And the chief seats in the synagogues, and the uppermost rooms at feasts: 40. Which devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: these shall receive greater damnation.

God knows hearts and answers prayer according to His will. The prayers of the righteous are heard by Him and since Jesus is our righteousness and intercedes for us, whoever is praying in His name, with a right heart is being heard. Where two or more are gathered in HIs name, He is there. And I believe the meeting on the internet or telephone or in person is equivalent to fulfilling that. Even sending a note saying you are praying for someone does not nullify the prayer. THe ridiculous ideas for doctrine never ceases to amaze me.

Matthew 18:19-20 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. 20. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - deafguy55 - 10-29-2011 10:06 AM

Yes I do have same problem about finding a church but most important word "assembly" very interesting one See that time the persecutions were there as well as the christians were hiding in caves and used the fish mark for communication for whereabout that they were hiding somewhere! I am sure that there were assemblies with the leaders for support and encouragement as well as it quoted on Hebrews 10: 23-25 small groups better hard to catch than large groups to me more likely scattered abroad afar! again same thing In Acts 13: 1-4 the church should be quoted as assembly due the time of persecutions there ! That time Jews want to kill Paul to stop the spreading the gospel! Somehow I found the strength to continue wherever you stand even don't have a church Most important verse 1 John 1:7 very clear how you doing before the Lord (NLT) But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have the fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, cleanses us from all sin. Same thing with Matthew 18:19-20 So fellowship with each other (2 or 3 persons together) for sharing words and prayers and encouragements! Living in love and truth as we do to the Lord! Then should be great to do! smile Ken!

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Vic - 10-29-2011 01:28 PM

(10-29-2011 10:06 AM)deafguy55 Wrote:  Yes I do have same problem about finding a church but most important word "assembly" very interesting one See that time the persecutions were there as well as the christians were hiding in caves and used the fish mark for communication for whereabout that they were hiding somewhere! I am sure that there were assemblies with the leaders for support and encouragement as well as it quoted on Hebrews 10: 23-25 small groups better hard to catch than large groups to me more likely scattered abroad afar! again same thing In Acts 13: 1-4 the church should be quoted as assembly due the time of persecutions there ! That time Jews want to kill Paul to stop the spreading the gospel! Somehow I found the strength to continue wherever you stand even don't have a church Most important verse 1 John 1:7 very clear how you doing before the Lord (NLT) But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have the fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, cleanses us from all sin. Same thing with Matthew 18:19-20 So fellowship with each other (2 or 3 persons together) for sharing words and prayers and encouragements! Living in love and truth as we do to the Lord! Then should be great to do! smile Ken!

Th_goodpoint Ken 6788

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Rose of Shushan - 10-29-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:Somehow I found the strength to continue wherever you stand even don't have a church Most important verse 1 John 1:7 very clear how you doing before the Lord (NLT) But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have the fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, cleanses us from all sin. Same thing with Matthew 18:19-20 So fellowship with each other (2 or 3 persons together) for sharing words and prayers and encouragements!

totally agree!! We may be totally alone physically and without fellowship but knowing that so many believers have gone through the same and often in times of greater suffering or persecution than we gives us strength and encouragement.

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - deafguy55 - 11-03-2011 12:05 AM

Interesting quote from Stephen in the bible Acts 7:48-50 See NLT However, The Most High doesn't live in the temples made by human hands. As the prophets says, Heaven is my throne. and the earth is my footstool. Could you build me a temple as good as that? asks the LORD "Could you build me a such resting place?" Didn't my hands make both heaven and earth?" Then I was amazed that God is talking about dwelling in us that our bodies were bought with Jesus' precious blood and become the temple of the Holy Spirit ! ( See 1Cor.6:19-20, 2Cor. 5:1-10 and 2 Cor.6:16-18) that is most wonderful news for all believers of Lord Jesus Christ! God is so good! yea! Amen!Smiley-face-thumb

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Dee - 11-18-2011 11:33 PM

(06-26-2010 10:10 PM)Vic Wrote:  But we also know that

1Co 11:18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
1Co 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

[b]In other words, being able to recognise the heresies actually confirms those who are believers--and its all based on Scriptural truth.

Thank you, that even speaks to me a year later Rose3

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - Vic - 11-19-2011 01:39 PM

(11-18-2011 11:33 PM)Dee Wrote:  Thank you, that even speaks to me a year later Rose3

Good to see you again Dee. Smiley-greet013 God's Word is timeless and yet in perfect time. Th_Religious_Comments_016

RE: Attending Church-The Body Of Christ - rmorgan - 01-19-2012 01:53 AM

I hate it when people attend mass and take the body of Christ without being prepared for it. I mean, this is a celebration and you should make it a point to be able to attend from the moment it starts and ends.

Everyone should be prepared to receive it and clear their hearts and minds from any worldly feeling that will make their hearts impure.