Newbie here
02-28-2012, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 02-29-2012 11:18 AM by Vic.)
Newbie here
Hi guys and gals

Thought I should register so I could post here. A little about me. I was Baptized in a Baptist church when I was about 12 years old. Was raised in a Christian environment. I later stopped going to church but mostly out of lack of meaning to me. I joined the service at 19. During my earlier years I began searching for a church that taught the Bible and not specific denominational dogma. I was able to find a coworker that got me into a Faith ministry. I finally felt at home.

Several years and much reading later I eventually stopped going to church again due to church splits, etc. I actually listened to a pastor who I found out later was the 2nd pastor that had been with Jim Bakker back when he was with Jessica Hahn. This was supposed to be a spirit filled church. I was floored.

I mostly considered myself a semi backslidden Christian who is fairly knowledgeable of the word with emphasis on Faith.

Back last April(2011) I met a lady and we began dating. When we first began seeing each other one of the things she told me was she was a Messianic. That word was not familiar to me at least in reference to being a Christian and not Jewish. So I began doing internet searches for information. In the beginning I guess I didn't really find much negative. We spent a lot of time together. She would listen to internet teaching of her favorite "teachers" Some are the well know ones we see mentioned so much Rood, Judah, etc. Initially I didn't really hear all that much bad stuff. But after some time listening with her I began to notice some irregularities. Which we discussed.

One of the first things I noticed was these guys rarely mentioned the New Testament and when they mentioned Jesus(using their terms of course) it was almost in passing.

Fast forward to 5 months into a perfect relationship. All of a sudden I get the message from her that she didn't think she could be with anyone who doesn't keep Sabbath or Torah. Needless to say I was floored. It took a few weeks but we were finally able to get our relationship going again.

However from that point forward my reading, study and research reached epic levels. lol It was then that I found sites like this and JGIG, Hebrew4Christians, fortheloveofthetruth, etc. I think Jgig was the first good one I spent time on. God Bless her. Now I read and read and read and read. I feel like I was getting a new education on a belief system I never knew existed.

Well our relationship lasted until...get this... Jan 1st. Losing her is like a death to me. I am hurting so bad now. But I continue to stay in the word and pray for us. I now know she has been under a lot of false teaching. I do know her heart and know she does want to please God. But, what little I tried, I could not get to her about being a LAW keeper. Many times when we discussed things it would get quite heated. Although we never, ever fought about anything. It was only spiritual things where things got heated. I prayed and prayed for God to give me the words to use. Most of the time however I kept silent because I didn't want to stir up the hornets nest. My girlfriend had been doing this stuff for 10 years. She was very knowledgeable of the Bible. I didn't know how to counter this belief system.

I'm getting ready to send her a small package in the mail which will include some pertinent documents I've found on these sites. One of them will be Sheepwrecked's story. I don't want to overload her but at least give her some foundation on where what she has been hearing might not be totally correct.

Anyway that's my story. ;)

Felix
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2012, 10:14 PM
RE: Newbie here
Hi Felix,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear about what you are going through with your girlfriend.I'm sure it must be very painful.
I will be praying for both of you.

All we can do is plant the seeds of truth,what happens after that is in God's hands.The HR movement is a very strong delusion.

Speaking as one having been under a strong delusion before,the hardest thing is submitting to God and the truth of His word.

I think people think they are submitted to God when they are in fact submitted to teachers and doctrines and not God.

It is very hard to strip yourself of everything and say okay God let's start over..here I am,no teacher,no pastor,no doctrine..just you,me and the bible.

It can be quite excruciating (and scary) to stop heaping up teachers and only look to God for our understanding.

We feel inadequate and insecure so we look to others to show us the way because we don't trust ourselves,that is when we fall into a ditch.

1Jn 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

1Jn 2:27 can be a painful lesson to learn. It feels a lot like you are doing it all on your own,alone,but we are not.God is with us,His Holy Spirit helps us.

Isa 41:13 For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee.

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

We get caught up allowing other people to guide us instead of the Holy Spirit.It becomes very hard to stop this behavior especially when we get close to these pastors/teachers and grow to love and respect them.

We just have to remember all we can do is plant the seed,God gives the increase.

Luk 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

1Co 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.(2John 1:9)
02-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks Lois

My ex has a history with the WW Church of God before she became a Messy. So my assumption is that must be where it started.

Also as I reread my topic post I see I incorrectly said "she could be with anyone who does Sabbath or Torah." That should have read "couldn't" Won't allow me to edit after 20 minutes. So guess that would seem confusing to other readers.

I know God put us together. I was hoping it was to guide both of us. Her for her Messy views and for me to get back into the Word. But perhaps it was only for a season. One of the things I have gleaned out of all this is how much of the New Testament actually is directed at LAW keepers. Just never read it that way but I can make more sense out of these things now.

In an email to her after we quit seeing each other I got bold and challenged her about her relationship to Christ. I was trying to be rather gentle She finally replied back that 1st she felt I never knew here and 2nd she was insulted. Ouch! Of course she prays very well and always to Christ although she uses Yahwey and Yahshuah or however they are spelled. But based on what I have learned from the HR stuff one has to always wonder just how much Christ is removed from what they actually believe. Since she laughed at Grace that made me all the more curious.
02-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Welcomewave Felix,

Glad God is directing your steps to get the information and focus on Christ and the Word that is imperative to be able to understand the issues.

I am very sorry you had to go through a relationship like that, that has ended like many others due to Hebrew Roots or messianic beliefs. If the person is following Rood etc they are what many messianics view as the fringe of the movement. But isn't fringe at all. THeir beliefs are found permeating other messianic and christian groups. THe prior beliefs of Armstrong fit well with the HR, Ephraim/Manneseh, lost tribes, British Israel beliefs that are found throughout these groups.

It's always been about Christ and obedience to His Word, and understanding that He came to bring the New Covenant, which is found fulfilled in Him and the New Testament. That is definitely what is rejected, as many spout 'renewed covenant', and you can't trust the translators of the NT, or the Greek, etc. And the denial of who Christ is, and the fulfillment of prophecies and what that means.

I hope you are encouraged and know that all things do work together for good for those who love Christ.

I will edit your post for you and correct that statement.

PLease join in as you are of a mind.

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user