What's the True Name of God?
12-31-2008, 09:59 PM
RE: What's the True Name of God?
(12-31-2008 08:47 PM)carl37 Wrote:  Are we still considered unclean if we believe in the Messiah? When will we become unclean?

If we are born again in Christ, it is a spiritual renewal and regeneration which renews our minds through the Holy Spirit. However; we still speak and operate in the flesh, which is why we still sin. Unclean words constantly stream from our lips, so that is why I wondered if God would allow His Holy, Righteous name pass through them. Look at what James says:

Jam 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
Jam 3:7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and has been tamed of mankind:
Jam 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Jam 3:9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Jam 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceeds blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not so to be.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Interesting. I am reminded however of a post on another thread about Peter's vision of the sheet I believe. Which brings to mind this:

Act 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

Is this in reference to who should have the opportunity to hear the gospel or because of the Almighty's divine foreknowledge of who accepts the messiah (Cornelius in this instance) and when that happens they are no longer considered unclean?
12-31-2008, 10:35 PM
QUOTE: Are we still considered unclean if we believe in the Messiah? When will we become unclean?

Strefanash: I regard clean and unclean as being synonyms for righteousness or not. We are imputedly righteous the moment we are born again, but we become manifestly righteous (ie live like it, show the fruit of the Spirit) as a process of his grace called sanctification.

I do reject the notion of being a new creation at the moment of conversion because i reject the notion that the human spirit is manfestly, totally and really cleansed on conversion. Any cleansing there, more or less, is imputed. And the reason i reject this is because I no longer regard the human spirit as being a separate thing from the human soul. I in fact regard the words "soul" and "spirit" (human spirit not holy spirit, much confusion is removed if we aks which spirit we are talking about) as being essentially interchangeable, synonyms but each with connotations that speak of a different aspect (and not part or compponent) of the whole.

There are two verses that seem to contradict this but i am confident i can defend this view from scripture, and I also hold that it makes a huge difference in practical christian living, whic his why to me this was nefver mere intellectuasl games but a serious business of life and death
12-31-2008, 10:40 PM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2008 10:42 PM by sheep wrecked.)
(12-31-2008 10:12 PM)carl37 Wrote:  Interesting. I am reminded however of a post on another thread about Peter's vision of the sheet I believe. Which brings to mind this:

Act 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

Is this in reference to who should have the opportunity to hear the gospel or because of the Almighty's divine foreknowledge of who accepts the messiah (Cornelius in this instance) and when that happens they are no longer considered unclean?

Again, clean in spirit. We are in the flesh and it continually causes us to sin. Are you saying that you never speak unholy words? Never sin with your mouth aka your words?
12-31-2008, 10:59 PM
You obviously read of my journey to where I am now. I cannot lie. I have had many bad things spew forth from my mouth. And unfortunately they occasionally (more often than I would like) (sometimes daily) continue to even though I detest it so.
01-01-2009, 12:52 PM
(12-31-2008 10:59 PM)carl37 Wrote:  You obviously read of my journey to where I am now. I cannot lie. I have had many bad things spew forth from my mouth. And unfortunately they occasionally (more often than I would like) (sometimes daily) continue to even though I detest it so.

Thank God there is therefore now no condemnation in Christ Jesus! Recognizing our sin is critical, but it's important not to dwell on it as well. Truly, I am so thankful for God's abounding grace through Jesus Christ - for we are the righteousness of God in Christ.

The point I was making is that speaking God's Holy, Righteous True Name with our mouths, which are unclean, would not be something He would allow, in my opinion. If He will not allow us to see Him with our eyes [instant death], then why would He permit us to speak His Name? Does that make sense?
01-02-2009, 11:56 AM
A rose called by any other name is still a rose. Call him God, Jesus, Saviour, King, Deliverer, Redeemer, High Priest, Yahoshua, etc. Any of these will do. Instead of God's name, we ought to rather think about God's character.

Acts 9:5
And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest:
IT IS HARD FOR THEE TO KICK AGAINST THE PRICKS.

Revelation 1:8
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord,
which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
01-02-2009, 11:50 PM
(01-02-2009 11:56 AM)DarkGlass1312 Wrote:  A rose called by any other name is still a rose. Call him God, Jesus, Saviour, King, Deliverer, Redeemer, High Priest, Yahoshua, etc. Any of these will do. Instead of God's name, we ought to rather think about God's character.

Sign0169 and No2

There are many assaults on the biblical name of God and Jesus. Therefore not just any old name can be used. Many are substituting made up names and claiming they are the true name and they also present a different god and a different Jesus. Many say they have the true "Hebrew" name when in fact they don't have a clue and don't speak Hebrew. But that doesn't stop them. And yes, we need to think about who God is and what we know of Him from the scriptures, not just what some would tell us He is about.

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-19-2010, 02:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2010 02:57 AM by zeke25.)
I see this thread is quite old. Thank you to Sheep Wrecked for directing me here. I have been studying the name of our God for quite some time. I have some thoughts that have not been previously brought up.

His Name
Part I -Why We Need To Know

1. Psalm 91:14 KJV, "14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name." Malachi 3:16-18 KJV, "16 Then they that feared [ יהוה ]* spake often one to another: and [ יהוה ] hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared [ יהוה ], and that thought upon his name. 17 And they shall be mine, saith [ יהוה ] of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him. 18 Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not." Malachi 4:2 KJV, "2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall." I could quote a hundred more Scriptures that discuss the name of God. But I cannot quote a single Scripture in the King James Bible that gives God's full name. I cannot quote a single Scripture in the New International Version that gives God's name in any form.

*Note: I have not inserted the Hebrew punctuation marks in the Tetragrammaton, because I have found that depending upon the scholar or the school of thought those punctuation marks are not universal. Opinions, unfortunately, varying on the proper punctuation marks to be used.

2. Who is it that God will deliver? Who is it that God will set on high? According to Psalm 91:14 it is the one who has known his name. Who is it for which God wrote a book of remembrance? According to Malachi 3:16 it is the ones who often spoke to one another about God and that thought upon his name. Who is it that will belong to God; who is it that will be a jewel, a special treasure to God; who is it that God will spare? According to Malachi 3:16-17 it is the one who fears God and thinks upon his name. Who is it that will be able to discern between the righteous and the wicked; who is it that will be able to discern who serves God and who does not? According to Malachi 3:16-18 it is the one that thought upon his name. Who is it that will be healed; who is it that will be grown up and spring about as a calf, in God? According to Malachi 4:2 is it the one that fears the name of God.

3. So, if you want to be delivered; be set on high; be put in God's book of remembrance; belong to God; be a jewel of God's - a special treasure; be spared; discern between the righteous and the wicked; discern who serves God and who does not; be healed; be grown up - mature in יהוה; and spring about as calf; then you should know His name. If you do not care about any of these things, or believe that you already have all of them, then you may not care to read any further. If you love God, you will want to read further and you will want to know His name.

4. Why do not the Scriptures just say "he who knows Me is the one?" Why, instead, do the Scriptures constantly refer to "the one who knows His name." First, there is obviously a difference between knowing Him and knowing His name. Jeremiah 10:6 KJV, "Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O [ יהוה ]; thou art great, and thy name is great in might." Second, God considers it very important that one know His name. Besides, common sense tells us, that if you know someone, really know them, at a minimum you know that person's name. Besides, there are a lot of gods with a lot of different names floating around in various societies and cultures around the world and throughout history. How can you distinguish between the false gods and the One true God, unless you know His name? Simple answer, you can not.

5. Psalm 96:2 KJV, "Sing unto [ יהוה ], bless his name; shew forth his salvation from day to day." Psalm 96:8 KJV "Give unto [ יהוה ] the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come into his courts." Psalm 99:3 KJV "Let them praise thy great and terrible name; for it is holy." How can you bless His name if you do not know His name? How can you glorify His name if you do not know His name? How can you praise His name if you do not know His name? His name is holy. What is this holy name? Do you know?

6. God has told us very plainly what His name is and that He expects us to use it. Exodus 3:15 KJV, "And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, [ יהוה ] God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations." It cannot get more explicit than this. God has given us His name and said that it is His name forever. Unfortunately, you cannot find this name in most translations of the Bible. It is not even in the King James Bible. Also, the Christian teachings I have heard repeatedly stop at Exodus 3:14 and never get to verse 15. Everyone walks out of these teachings and starts calling God the great "I AM". This is an erroneous teaching. God did not tell us to call Him "I AM". יהוה is not pronounced "I AM", in fact in Hebrew the spelling is even different. God tells us His name in Exodus 3:15, not Exodus 3:14. Besides, His name has already been used repeatedly in the Bible prior to Exodus 3:14.

This is the first six paragraphs of Part I (total of 14 paragraphs) of a teaching that I have put together. If it is not welcome here, then I will not continue. If anyone wants to read more, then let me know. Thank you. In Christ, Zeke25
I must admit. I am quite uncomfortable with this teaching being posted under Messianic Judaism/Hebrew Roots or Hebraic Roots. I am not presenting an HR teaching here. I am presenting a Christian teaching. No wonder I could not find it without Sheep Wreck's help. I would have never dreamed of looking for it in this forum.
Zeke25
07-19-2010, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2010 01:52 PM by sheep wrecked.)
(07-19-2010 02:38 AM)zeke25 Wrote:  I see this thread is quite old. Thank you to Sheep Wrecked for directing me here. I have been studying the name of our God for quite some time. I have some thoughts that have not been previously brought up.

His Name
Part I -Why We Need To Know

1. Psalm 91:14 KJV, "14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name." Malachi 3:16-18 KJV, "16 Then they that feared [ יהוה ]* spake often one to another: and [ יהוה ] hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared [ יהוה ], and that thought upon his name. 17 And they shall be mine, saith [ יהוה ] of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him. 18 Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not." Malachi 4:2 KJV, "2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall." I could quote a hundred more Scriptures that discuss the name of God. But I cannot quote a single Scripture in the King James Bible that gives God's full name. I cannot quote a single Scripture in the New International Version that gives God's name in any form.

*Note: I have not inserted the Hebrew punctuation marks in the Tetragrammaton, because I have found that depending upon the scholar or the school of thought those punctuation marks are not universal. Opinions, unfortunately, varying on the proper punctuation marks to be used.

It's not necessary or advisable to paste your whole teaching here. We are very familiar with every nuance of teachings regarding knowing the name of God. There is no version or translation that has the "true name of God". It is hidden from us and will not be revealed until the age to come.

To know His Name, is to know HIM - His character, reputation, authority. Jesus taught us to call Him Father. The NT calls Him Father. That is truth.

The Scriptures for this are found in the article:

http://www.seekgod.ca/htname.htm

ps: It is a Hebrew Roots teaching and has been promoted by them almost singlehandedly, which is why it is in this section.

You can back down on the extra large print, please - it really makes it hard to read and feels like yelling Smile