What does apologetics mean?
12-09-2008, 03:09 PM
What does apologetics mean?
Many are not quite sure what apologetics means but, basically, it just means explaining what you believe and why, and using the Scripture as the standard of truth, and standing in defence of that truth.

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2008, 11:52 PM
RE: What does apologetics mean?
Apologetics...to me... is anoxymoron.

I do not apologize for my believing in my salvation.... I declare it. and I am not ahshamed of it.

I am a simple man...not at all as well read as some here. I just can say I know the lie..have lived the lie...

The only one Who not only has the truth...But IS the TRUTH..is Jesus...
Find all posts by this user
12-12-2008, 12:19 AM
(12-11-2008 11:52 PM)milordsheep Wrote:  Apologetics...to me... is anoxymoron.

I do not apologize for my believing in my salvation.... I declare it. and I am not ahshamed of it.

I am a simple man...not at all as well read as some here. I just can say I know the lie..have lived the lie...

I think that apologetics may mean something a little different than "apology", although I can see where it's easy to think that it's related to that cause the words are close in appearance. I would say that it means a defense of your faith.

I decided to get the Webster definition of both words - hope it helps Smile :

Main Entry: apol·o·get·ics
Pronunciation: \-tiks\
Function: noun plural but singular or plural in construction
Date: circa 1733
1 : systematic argumentative discourse in defense (as of a doctrine)
2 : a branch of theology devoted to the defense of the divine origin and authority of Christianity

Main Entry: apol·o·gy
Pronunciation: \ə-ˈpä-lə-jē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural apol·o·gies
Etymology: Middle French or Late Latin; Middle French apologie, from Late Latin apologia, from Greek, from apo- + logos speech — more at legend
Date: 1533
1 a: a formal justification : defense b: excuse 2a
2: an admission of error or discourtesy accompanied by an expression of regret <a public apology>
3: a poor substitute : makeshift

And there ya have it - a lesson in English terms - who woulda thunk it? :D
12-12-2008, 01:33 AM
yes indeed sheep:
the point I wanted to make is that I do not have to defend my Faith...Indeed my Faith defends me... I do not need to tell you where that is in the Word.... Let the curious look for themselves.

we have one justification...bought and paid.
12-13-2008, 09:12 PM
(12-12-2008 01:33 AM)milordsheep Wrote:  yes indeed sheep:
the point I wanted to make is that I do not have to defend my Faith...Indeed my Faith defends me... I do not need to tell you where that is in the Word.... Let the curious look for themselves.

we have one justification...bought and paid.

I didn't know what apologetic's was I first got on the net--thought it was foolish to aplogise for our beliefs--pretty much like your reaction. I still don't really like the term--it just seems the wrong thing to call it when it's about Christ. And like you--I don't apologize for salvation, serving Him and believing God's Word. And I do think it comes down to

Jud 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

And the only way to do that is to be obedient to Christ and study and allow God to use you for His purposes. Not that He "needs" us but He wants us to grow in our trust of Him.

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-13-2008, 11:57 PM
I am now in fact skeptical as to the value of apologetics. It does seem to me to be too much the arm of the flesh, one favoured by the most intelligent in the church. I was a member of a secret high powered invitation only internet apologetics group. The pride there was such that, though flattered at being invited there, I did not fit there and tried to leave several times. They all ignored Romans 1:19-20, which in my opinion changes everything. THese were Ph.D.'s and the like, and little old me also. . . .

The thing is the Bible in this passage says the we (all humans) all know the truth and repress it. This changes the focus of everything. If the truth is known but repressed then the repression is a sin, and is wilfull, and not to be stopped just by having it talked about.

If the Kingdom is not words but power then surely showing people a love they have never ever seen would be effective where talk is not? But if we do not have this we have nothing but a philosophy, and our talk, our rational presentation of logical arguments, is worthless for reaching the lost

the fact is people, not being rational creatures, are not persuaded by reason. I was not, i encountered the Holy Spirit in my room one midnight 30 years ago.

I seized on apologetics to try and force my doubts down. And of course it did not work, not by itself, but by God's personal involvement with me over the years. But all this came after my conversion, not before

I now regard the faith as absolutely logical, rational and increasingly am I certain of its truth, but without the fruit of the sprit in my life i have nothing that the average unbeliever would be even remotely interested in

All too often we show we are not rational creatures by the fact that our rational discussion degenerate into quarrels, and in fact some websites now advocate obnoxious quarrelsome behaviour as being the challenge ripose method that Jesus Christ used in refuting error

Apologetic reasoning is useful to help those who have believed, by showing that they have not believed in vain.

But if we had the fruit and the power to what extent would rational arguments, though perfectly valid yet being non persuasive as man does not listen to reason, be irrelevant?
(12-11-2008 11:52 PM)milordsheep Wrote:  Apologetics...to me... is anoxymoron.

apologetics comes from the Greek, apo logia to speak to, ie defend. it has NOTHING to do with an apology in the modern sense.

Words do change. after all the word "naughty" in the 16th century, meant criminal, but now it has softened to the most innocuous child's misbehaviour.

incidentally that is one reason why i avoid the KJV. ALthough my grasp of Tudor English is probably quite good why risk confusion over an old english idiom that has lost or changed its meaning?

For example

the goodman of the house - the word good was not in the greek, but goodman simply meant gentleman, a polite word for person in Tudor& Jacobite times
seated at meat - eating, food, not just meat
an helpmate meet for him - a helper suitable for him
12-14-2008, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2008 06:35 PM by sheep wrecked.)
I think of apologetics in the same context that Paul refers to it here:

Eph 6:10 Finally, my brothers, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Eph 6:13 Why take to you the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Eph 6:14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
Eph 6:15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Eph 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, with which you shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
Eph 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Eph 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
Eph 6:19 And for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
Eph 6:20 For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

Having dived into two false movements, in which I believed I would find God's truth, I am compelled to speak the Truth and combat false teachings within Christian venues - particularly Hebrew Roots. If no one speaks for the truth, then who will? If someone had not taken the time to speak the truth in love to me, I would still be lost in a sea of compromise and deception.

For me, apologetics is defending and contending the faith once given to the saints. That can be through God's written Word, and through historical and factual documentation. When religious systems feed off people's ignorance, and draw them into false teachings - then as Christians, we are called to sound the alarm. I can not do otherwise, or I would be throwing the grace of God extended to me, back in His face. It is my heart's cry to keep others from ship wrecking their faith, as I almost did.
01-02-2009, 10:55 AM
When apologetics is defending against atheism, it's pointless. All people of the earth know for a fact that God is real, but atheists always try to deny what they clearly know. Why debate with someone that's stubborn? The horse knows that there is water and he needs it, but doesn't drink it even if you lead him there. That's who an atheist is. We are commanded to avoid foolish questions (2 Timothy 2:23, Titus 3:9). I'm not saying that this is a foolish question Wink but atheists often ask them. Avoid foolishness and embrace the Truth.

Acts 9:5
And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest:
IT IS HARD FOR THEE TO KICK AGAINST THE PRICKS.

Revelation 1:8
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord,
which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
01-02-2009, 02:48 PM
(01-02-2009 10:55 AM)DarkGlass1312 Wrote:  When apologetics is defending against atheism, it's pointless. All people of the earth know for a fact that God is real, but atheists always try to deny what they clearly know. Why debate with someone that's stubborn? The horse knows that there is water and he needs it, but doesn't drink it even if you lead him there. That's who an atheist is. We are commanded to avoid foolish questions (2 Timothy 2:23, Titus 3:9). I'm not saying that this is a foolish question Wink but atheists often ask them. Avoid foolishness and embrace the Truth.

Do you really think the atheist is any different than people caught in a deceptive movement, in cult, or under false teachings? If anyone knows what it's like to be brainwashed and believe it's the truth, it's me.

So, apologetics on this forum is the God given ability to speak to all who come here. We need to shine God's truth in love to all and no one gets left out. We plant the seeds of God's Word, and God waters them. If someone had not stepped out and showed the truth to me - on a forum - I would still be entrapped in heresy 14294

No one is beyond help until they draw their last breath, in my opinion Innocent0002

01-02-2009, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2009 06:25 PM by DarkGlass1312.)
Do you really think the atheist is any different than people caught in a deceptive movement, in cult, or under false teachings? If anyone knows what it's like to be brainwashed and believe it's the truth, it's me.

So, apologetics on this forum is the God given ability to speak to all who come here. We need to shine God's truth in love to all and no one gets left out. We plant the seeds of God's Word, and God waters them. If someone had not stepped out and showed the truth to me - on a forum - I would still be entrapped in heresy 14294

No one is beyond help until they draw their last breath, in my opinion Innocent0002

That's all very true and it sounds good to me. All people are born with a sin nature, as we all know, and that's what makes atheists and cults much the same. As long as apologetics refers to what you say it is, I'm supporting it. The Truth should be known among all men, atheists and Christians alike. It's also true what you said at the end: the thief on the cross is our example.

Acts 9:5
And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest:
IT IS HARD FOR THEE TO KICK AGAINST THE PRICKS.

Revelation 1:8
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord,
which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.