Can someone claim to be a prophet and...
02-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Can someone claim to be a prophet and...
Can someone claim to be a prophet and prophesy falsely, and then say they are still a prophet?89

Is it Scriptural to teach that prophets don't have to be accurate, that they have a learning curve or they can get anywhere from 10% to 90% accuracy and still be considered God's prophet? Lightning

Can a proven false prophet be regarded as sound if they confess they have prophesied falsely and then continue in that 'career'?
Slaphead

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2009, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2009 07:11 PM by Peaches.)
RE: Can someone claim to be a prophet and...
(02-03-2009 01:14 PM)Vic Wrote:  Can someone claim to be a prophet and prophesy falsely, and then say they are still a prophet?89

Is it Scriptural to teach that prophets don't have to be accurate, that they have a learning curve or they can get anywhere from 10% to 90% accuracy and still be considered God's prophet? Lightning

Can a proven false prophet be regarded as sound if they confess they have prophesied falsely and then continue in that 'career'?
Slaphead

I was kinda wondering. Don't you think God understands if someone makes a mistake on a prohecy? I mean, like maybe they heard wrong, so shouldn't we just give them another chance?

Find all posts by this user
02-03-2009, 07:32 PM
(02-03-2009 07:07 PM)Peaches Wrote:  I was kinda wondering. Don't you think God understands if someone makes a mistake on a prohecy? I mean, like maybe they heard wrong, so shouldn't we just give them another chance?

What is it that you think they have heard? or maybe I should say, Where do you think they get their prophecies from Slaphead If they are God's prophets--do they get the inspiration or revelation from Him?

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2009, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2009 07:50 PM by sheep wrecked.)
(02-03-2009 07:07 PM)Peaches Wrote:  I was kinda wondering. Don't you think God understands if someone makes a mistake on a prohecy? I mean, like maybe they heard wrong, so shouldn't we just give them another chance?

Let me ask you this, Peaches - if someone truly hears from God, don't you think that He could speak so they could get the right information? Listen

If you look at the OT prophets - there was never a question as to whether they spoke God's Words - and they never made mistakes. If they did, in the OT they stoned them for being a false prophet .... and this what God commanded for punishment. Icon_new_shocked

So then, if God felt that way then, do you really supposed He just shrugs His shoulders when people say they hear from God, and it doesn't come true today?
02-03-2009, 08:05 PM
(02-03-2009 07:49 PM)sheep wrecked Wrote:  

Let me ask you this, Peaches - if someone truly hears from God, don't you think that He could speak so they could get the right information? Listen

If you look at the OT prophets - there was never a question as to whether they spoke God's Words - and they never made mistakes. If they did, in the OT they stoned them for being a false prophet .... and this what God commanded for punishment. Icon_new_shocked

So then, if God felt that way then, do you really supposed He just shrugs His shoulders when people say they hear from God, and it doesn't come true today?

Wow, I never thought of it that way before. But now I am confused, cause there are like 100s and 100s...maybe even 1000s and 1000s of people who prophesy and say they hear from God and then they speak a "word from the Lord" in church and everyone thinks that the Holy Spirit is there blessing people. So how come so many people are doing this if it's not God speaking? This is scary. Noooooo
02-03-2009, 08:40 PM
(02-03-2009 08:05 PM)Peaches Wrote:  Wow, I never thought of it that way before. But now I am confused, cause there are like 100s and 100s...maybe even 1000s and 1000s of people who prophesy and say they hear from God and then they speak a "word from the Lord" in church and everyone thinks that the Holy Spirit is there blessing people. So how come so many people are doing this if it's not God speaking? This is scary. Noooooo

It's not something to be fearful of, you just need to be aware that not everything you hear and see is of God, even if people say it is. The Bible has to be our authority on things like this. The Bible is clear, that false prophecies, even "mistakes", are not how God does things.

I think what happens is that people want to feel special to God and if they are told they can hear from Him, it makes them think they are "worthy" and important to God's plan. The important thing to remember is that God is with us continually and will lead us in life if we are submitted to Him and love Him with all our hearts. It's not about hearing a voice that guides us as He wills, it's by faith and trusting He will show us clearly day by day what He wants.
02-03-2009, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2009 10:41 PM by Emjesown.)
(02-03-2009 01:14 PM)Vic Wrote:  Can someone claim to be a prophet and prophesy falsely, and then say they are still a prophet?89

Slaphead

Hello Hello
Here i am again

First of all i don t think being a prophet is a careerThinking2
He can t be chosen, He can t aply for the "job".......
He qualifice only by being IT!
Then people see , notice he might be a prophet.

When someone speaks for God or by God, he can t be wrong, no mistakes. In the OT there where alot of prophets, now in our days? I really don t know.
I attent to think not.
But who am i?
Bible sais when a prophet speaks and it don t come to pass , he is a false prophet. So God don t make mistakes.
Many these days claim to be one, but whatever they say never happens.
So that makes you wonder eh?
Many
follow socalled prophets,
worship the man ( almost)
so i don t know

Are theyre still prophets today
are you one if you speak out in your church and then say:
thus said the lord?
I personelly don t believe there are still prophets today, not like back then anyway!

But i do believe God speaks to us now and then.

EMJEDancegirl2
ahhh i forgot to mention:

Once God spoke through prophets now He speaks throught His Son!!!

EMJE
02-04-2009, 12:12 AM
the answer is NO. Thank God we are not under the LAW wherebyt we must stone them, but the answer stil stands as NO.

AS for prophets in training (ie getting something wrong) i might admit the possibility, but if so NOONE in that position is able or entitled to go public. THEY ARE NOT READY

NOT untill he is sufficiently at rest in the Lord dare he speak THUS SAITH THEW LORD as a matter of ministry
(02-03-2009 10:39 PM)Emjesown Wrote:  EMJEDancegirl2
ahhh i forgot to mention:

Once God spoke through prophets now He speaks throught His Son!!!

EMJE

I knw the verse in Hebrews you refer to, but I think the implication you draw is incorrect. St Paul listed the offices in the church in I Cor 12:28.

God gave to the church Apostles prophets pastors evangelist teachers etc.

Some quote Paul as saying the prophecy would cease (I Cor 13:10) when the perfect came (true) but that this happened when the Scriptures were completely assembled. This last is false, for if we think that the verse in question is fulfilled why do we still have evangelists and teachers, and how can we claim to be in the time when the perfect has come when our fruit indicate something the contrary.

No. prophecy will cease after the Second Coming, if it has ceased before then it is because we have despised prophesying (in defiance of
St Paul on this one) and likely quenched the Spirit.

Thus you can see I am no cessationist, and hold that doctrine to be grievous heresy
02-04-2009, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2009 03:35 PM by sheep wrecked.)
(02-04-2009 12:12 AM)strefanash Wrote:  the answer is NO. Thank God we are not under the LAW wherebyt we must stone them, but the answer stil stands as NO.

AS for prophets in training (ie getting something wrong) i might admit the possibility, but if so NOONE in that position is able or entitled to go public. THEY ARE NOT READY

NOT untill he is sufficiently at rest in the Lord dare he speak THUS SAITH THEW LORD as a matter of ministry

It's interesting that you say this because that is what charis teaches, but it's not Biblical. In the OT when God called a prophet, they spoke God's Words, which were truth. There was no trial and error - they were "not ready" either. A prophet is not trained - they utter the words of God ver battem. It doesn't take "practice".

The NT prophets also spoke the Word of God without training. Prophecy was a gift, not a career that one trained for. I don't think you can find anywhere in the Bible that someone had to "be ready". God specializes in using people that are unprepared and have no ability - that way, He gets all the glory.

Also, under the New Covenant we have better promises and the indwelt Holy Spirit. If the OT prophets spoke with 100% accuracy, now that we walk in the Spirit, God is going to be less correct? less able for people to hear accurately? need practice? :shocked:

Quote:I knw the verse in Hebrews you refer to, but I think the implication you draw is incorrect. St Paul listed the offices in the church in I Cor 12:28.

God gave to the church Apostles prophets pastors evangelist teachers etc.

There are no Apostles today - an apostle's qualifications are listed in Acts 1 - no one exists today that walked with Christ and witnessed Him firsthand - not sure how that is overlooked.

Prophets ...... hmmm - where are they? I don't see any true prophets of God. All I see are wanna be trainees who can't get the time of the day right, much less a "word from the Lord". Every single prophecy that I have read I can prove scripturally to be false. If there are prophets today, they are silent.

Evangelists. Do we need them? What were they in the NT? Why is there no instruction for this "career" choice? Are we not all evangelists who preach the Gospel to those that God places in our lives? Evangelists today are self appointed, denominationally trained and biased. Show me a world renown evangelist, and I will show you his heresy.

Pastors. They oversaw the gathering of believers. They did not teach. Pastors today are trained in their denominational systems. Can you trust them?

Teachers. Funny that Paul states that you have need that no one teach you because we have the Holy Spirit which leads us into all truth through the written Word. I am not saying that one cannot be taught, but I think the whole teacher thing is driven beyond reason as if they are spiritually superior. And through them, more people fall prey to deception than are led into truth. MY OPINION based on what I have observed. I am not saying that all teachers and pastors are "bad" people" But people are way too lazy to search out the Word for themselves and end up eating what is spoon-fed regardless if it is laced with poison.

Personally, based on what I read in the Word of God, one does not need the 5 fold offices any longer. I believe quite strongly that these offices were over seen by the Apostles of Christ. Since their demise, there is no one to judge these offices and without the authority of the Apostles, it's hit or miss who is of God and who is not. caveat emptor.
02-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Did you know there was a school for prophets once on paltalk?

Back then i always wondered how you can learn to be a prophet.

EMJE