Welcome to SeekGod.ca Forum
Sign in Create Account
Not a member yet? Why not sign up today and start meeting our community.

Is the Bible Reliable?

Lois

Can we trust the Bible, or has it been rewritten so many times that it is unreliable?
Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.(2John 1:9)

Vic

Administrator

(02-16-2014, 01:39 PM)Lois Wrote: Can we trust the Bible, or has it been rewritten so many times that it is unreliable?

THe Bible is God's Word and was given so we might HIm and His will for us. It's how we know of His free gift of salvation and so on.

David wrote:
Psalms 12:6-7 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. (7) Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

With those words came a severe warning:

Proverbs 30:5-6 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. (6) Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

God preserves His words from generation to generation and from one language to another. He is more than able to protect the very essence and intent of meaning when copied and translated.

That said, we also know that there are those who have determined to twist and pervert God's word, and change it to make it say and mean what they want it to say. That's why there are so many different versions in the last 50-100 plus years, all based on different manuscripts and different meanings attributed to and written as doctrine. Instead of word for word translation, it becomes intent of meaning--which comes down to opinion.

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4  I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31  But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Gene Pool

This is my first post outside my introduction, so I hope I don't mess up on the get-go. Regarding the original question, "Can we trust the Bible, or has it been rewritten so many times that it is unreliable?," I think what we have today in our contemporary translations is reliable as long as one remembers they are reading a translation from one time, culture, and language to another time, culture and language. If you have ever been involved in translating you will know that it is not a simple process of unplugging words and plugging equivalent words back in with exact meanings. And often the same words mean different things to different cultures. Before I retired, I had the "opportunity" to translate technical, scientific work from English and Russian into Chinese. And getting it right, or as right as possible, was extremely important for safety reasons. In many instances there are no single word that translates a word...phrases have to be used to get the meaning across. I could go on and on regarding this. Bottom line, translating is not a simple task. So I would recommend using several contemporary translations of the Scripture trying to get the understanding of what is written ... that is, unless you are fluent in Greek and Hebrew and can work from the original languages. I can't, so I use my multiple translations which I believe Yahweh has blessed me with, and I read with discernment.

Blessings,
Gene Pool

clark thompson

Advanced Member

I trust the bible with my all.
We are to live out the gospel.

Vic

Administrator

I want to answer this a little better, but am having technical issues. Back when I can.
Vic
SeekGod.ca

Isaiah 40:31  But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Vic

Administrator

(04-26-2014, 08:30 PM)Gene Pool Wrote: This is my first post outside my introduction, so I hope I don't mess up on the get-go. Regarding the original question, "Can we trust the Bible, or has it been rewritten so many times that it is unreliable?," I think what we have today in our contemporary translations is reliable as long as one remembers they are reading a translation from one time, culture, and language to another time, culture and language. If you have ever been involved in translating you will know that it is not a simple process of unplugging words and plugging equivalent words back in with exact meanings. And often the same words mean different things to different cultures. Before I retired, I had the "opportunity" to translate technical, scientific work from English and Russian into Chinese. And getting it right, or as right as possible, was extremely important for safety reasons. In many instances there are no single word that translates a word...phrases have to be used to get the meaning across. I could go on and on regarding this. Bottom line, translating is not a simple task. So I would recommend using several contemporary translations of the Scripture trying to get the understanding of what is written ... that is, unless you are fluent in Greek and Hebrew and can work from the original languages. I can't, so I use my multiple translations which I believe Yahweh has blessed me with, and I read with discernment.

Blessings,
Gene Pool

HI Gene,

Thank you for sharing that information. Translating is viewed by many as a science because of the issues involved, so it's clear it's not a simple task, but takes understanding of the languages being translated from as well as the languages being translated to, historical meanings of words and so on.

IN the case of the Scriptures we have an issue of source documents used being different than what was used for say the KJB or Geneva, etc versus the translations based on the Nestle/Aland/Westcott and Hort revisions. The difference in comparison is apples to oranges. So one needs to be aware of those things when studying and why they are different; what it does to doctrine. As well the method of translating varies and that always makes the doctrine change. And that isn't necessarily what makes sound doctrine, particularly when opinions are implanted as doctrine and people believe that's a translation versus a paraphrase and so on.

We have the mess from the Message as a prime example of people not comprehending it's not a translation but an opinion driven writing of what Peterson wanted it to say. Yet people believe it's an actual Bible when it is not.

Discernment and understanding only come from the Holy Spirit giving us that insight and by use and study of the Scriptures. And we need to understand why the list of sin issues, for example, have been changed or eliminated in many contemporary versions...or why gender neutral versions are an affront to sound doctrine, or ....

Vic
SeekGod.ca

vansdad

Most people are unaware of the history of the Bible. It was written in sections by scribes and they always had the previous texts and that is what gives it its consistency. That being said I see the Bible as a symbolic book of God's nature and its reliability is in the person reading it

Vic

Administrator

(02-03-2017, 01:06 PM)vansdad Wrote: Most people are unaware of the history of the Bible. It was written in sections by scribes and they always had the previous texts and that is what gives it its consistency.  That being said I see the Bible as a symbolic book of God's nature and its reliability is in the person reading it

HI vansdad,

I am not sure what you mean when you say you "see the Bible as a symbolic book of God's nature, and it's reliability is in the person reading it."

Scripture tells us we can only understand it by the Holy Spirit giving understanding. IN other words, one either belongs to Christ to begin with, or the Holy Spirit is opening understanding so the person might know the Truth of Jesus Christ, salvation etc.
Jesus clearly opened the understanding of the disciples, so that they might fully understand why He said that the Scriptures must be fulfilled concerning Himself.

Luk 24:44-47
(44)  And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
(45)  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
(46)  And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
(47)  And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

2Co 4:3-6
(3)  But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
(4)  In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
(5)  For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.
(6)  For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

2Co 3:14-17

(14)  But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
(15)  But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
(16)  Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
(17)  Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

There are so many verses that could be given here. I believe the Word of God is more than symbolic of God's nature. It's reliability is more than about who reads it. It stands true.
Vic
SeekGod.ca