Romans 1:28-32
04-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Romans 1:28-32
Romans 1:28-32 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29. Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30. Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31. Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32. Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

I have been wondering something for awhile. I always try to keep verses in context, but there is something that intrigues me with verse 32.

If one looks at the world, and the entertainment industry, whether television, books gaming etc, we see an endless influx of glorification of sin. For example: tv has show after show dedicated to murder, adultery, theft, etc and invariably, the perpretrator is made to receive sympathy or is rooted for, or it is simply viewed as entertainment to watch a reenacted murder, etc. There are the 'reality' shows, which in some cases are merely living out situation ethics---humanism where self becomes self serving in order to survive and 'win'.

When Jesus spoke of a man looking at woman with lust as being equal to committing adultery: and hatred being equal to murder, do you suppose that verse 32-

Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Can be put into the context that if we know something is wrong, but take pleasure in watching others do it...it is the same as doing it ourselves? Thinking2

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2009, 04:51 PM
RE: Romans 1:28-32
That is a good point, Vic. If we take pleasure in watching people sin, then I would say that we are also sinning. However, I would not expect a genuine Christian to be comfortable about it, even if the flesh responds to it.
Find all posts by this user
04-18-2009, 05:01 PM
(04-18-2009 04:51 PM)Anddra Wrote:  That is a good point, Vic. If we take pleasure in watching people sin, then I would say that we are also sinning. However, I would not expect a genuine Christian to be comfortable about it, even if the flesh responds to it.

Hi Anddra,

I agree, Christians would not or should not feel comfortable with it. But, I wonder how many do 'voyeurism' sinning without realising that is what is being done. Something to think about, that is for sure.

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2009, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2009 05:44 PM by sheep wrecked.)

Sure is making me think. It's something that I have not pondered in a very long time :s
Find all posts by this user