Is Hannukah Better Than Christmas?
01-07-2012, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2012 08:19 PM by Dee.)
RE: Is Hannukah Better Than Christmas?
(12-18-2011 05:25 PM)Lois Wrote:  I read this verse the other day and thought it would be good to add here.
Gen_21:8 And the child grew, and was weaned: and Abraham made a great feast the same day that Isaac was weaned.

Abraham made a great feast just to celebrate his son being weened.That would seem to be kind of trivial really.Children are weened it is just a natural
developmental occurrence but Abraham decided to throw a great banquet for this very common occurrence in a child's life.

The birth,life,death and resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is not such an ordinary occurrence and should be celebrated all the more. 2c2

Isaac was the Child of which the Promised Messiah would come through.. so maybe it would be a big deal. I always wondered how the bat/bar mitzvah (sp) became a celebration. Maybe that is a similar life event?

This discussion on the different perspectives of pagan 'roots' is interesting, educational, and additionally freeing. Our family is guilty of considering too much the pagan relation to birthdays. I appreciate how Vic (and Lois) explain things.

Last month I pointed to Christ to my HR friends who were celebrating Hanukkah as a "safer alternative" to Christmas. But interestingly, I saw that someone (a non-Jew) who calls themself "Messianic Jewish" can and does say and agree "Messiah is the Light of the World" during Hanukkah (and Shabbat candle lighting), but this person did not mean Jesus/Yeshua, but a future Messiah who is not of or from God, and they can't say his name or say they don't know what it is yet. ? Maybe they are mixing a few things together there. Stirthepot I'm sure that isn't "safer"..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2012, 08:19 PM
(01-07-2012 08:01 PM)Dee Wrote:  
(12-18-2011 05:25 PM)Lois Wrote:  I read this verse the other day and thought it would be good to add here.
Gen_21:8 And the child grew, and was weaned: and Abraham made a great feast the same day that Isaac was weaned.

Abraham made a great feast just to celebrate his son being weened.That would seem to be kind of trivial really.Children are weened it is just a natural
developmental occurrence but Abraham decided to throw a great banquet for this very common occurrence in a child's life.

The birth,life,death and resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is not such an ordinary occurrence and should be celebrated all the more. 2c2

Isaac was the Child of which the Promised Messiah would come through.. so maybe it would be a big deal. I always wondered how the bat/bar mitzvah (sp) became a celebration. Maybe that is a similar life event?

This discussion on the different perspectives of pagan 'roots' is interesting, educational, and additionally freeing. Our family is guilty of considering too much the pagan relation to birthdays. I appreciate how Vic explains things.

Last month I pointed to Christ to my HR friends who were celebrating Hanukkah as a "safer alternative" to Christmas. But interestingly, I saw that someone (a non-Jew) who calls themself "Messianic Jewish" can and does say and agree "Messiah is the Light of the World" during Hanukkah (and Shabbat candle lighting), but this person did not mean Jesus/Yeshua, but a future Messiah who is not of or from God, and they can't say his name or say they don't know what it is yet. ? Maybe they are mixing a few things together there. Stirthepot I'm sure that isn't "safer"..

HI Dee, Good to see you. Smiley-greet013

Messianic Jewish or Messianic Jew or Messianic can have many different meanings. Even amongst Judaism---where many will not call themselves Messianic. THose that do, can mean they believe in a messianic era--era of peace, or various other meanings, or a coming messiah but definitely not Christ. In my To Embrace Hebrew Roots series there was a list of terms that vary between Christians and Judaism. > http://www.seekgod.ca/embrachrist.htm#terms

Bar mitzvah's became part of Judaism,as formulated in the Talmud, and became a practice in the middle ages. Hope that helps.

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2012, 12:02 AM
(01-07-2012 08:19 PM)Vic Wrote:  HI Dee, Good to see you. Smiley-greet013

Messianic Jewish or Messianic Jew or Messianic can have many different meanings. Even amongst Judaism---where many will not call themselves Messianic. THose that do, can mean they believe in a messianic era--era of peace, or various other meanings, or a coming messiah but definitely not Christ. In my To Embrace Hebrew Roots series there was a list of terms that vary between Christians and Judaism. > http://www.seekgod.ca/embrachrist.htm#terms

Bar mitzvah's became part of Judaism,as formulated in the Talmud, and became a practice in the middle ages. Hope that helps.

Hi back! :-) Sheep

Quote:"but definitely not Christ"
I see!! anti-Christ. Why aren't the HR seeing this?

Middle ages... So, obviously Jesus didn't have a bar mitzvah like they say?

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
01-08-2012, 01:04 PM
(01-08-2012 12:02 AM)Dee Wrote:  Hi back! :-) Sheep

Quote:"but definitely not Christ"
I see!! anti-Christ. Why aren't the HR seeing this?

Middle ages... So, obviously Jesus didn't have a bar mitzvah like they say?

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Slaphead Yes, we can safely say, Jesus DID NOT have a bar mitzvah like they try to lay claim to, in order to validate their own rituals and beliefs that don't align the Scriptures.

Keep in mind that one of the Messiah's being claimed--and there has been many named in Judaism over the years, is Judah Maccabee--who led in initiating the whole hannukah celebration. Other's view all the brothers as jointly Messiah. THis series which I broke into different myths addressing those things and history. http://www.seekgod.ca/hr/hrfaqs4a2.htm#1

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Channukah is not "better" than Christmas because it celebrates a completely different event.
I don't understand why non-Jews- even the Messies-would want to celebrate it since it
commemarates an event not associated with them.
Then again....Messies are wannabe Jews, so I guess it's no surprise they celebrate it.
They steal all our other culture and religious observances, so why not Channukah? :(
12-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Bump Smile

Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.(2John 1:9)