Did Peter's Vision of the Sheet Mean People & Food?
04-07-2011, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2011 08:56 PM by Rose of Shushan.)
RE: Did Peter's Vision of the Sheet Mean People & Food?
Quote:I started raising my own animals. I haven't taken the full steps to become self-suffcient, but I hope to soon. I also have an organic garden, and I make almost everything from scratch at my house. I shop at a local farmer's market. I don't buy any foods that contain refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, msg, gmo's, nitrates, hydrogenated oils, artificial flavoring, etc.
That's awesome Smiley-face-thumb heh for once I totally agree with all your post Biggrin
I too grow some of my own stuff though I don't have a garden (yet Smile )just a couple of big balconies.
It's great that you have animals too,which ones do you have?
I too don't buy any of those foods and spend a large amount of my time in the kitchen.But it's worth it.
Wishing you the best in your self sufficiency endeavours
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2011, 09:21 PM
(04-07-2011 08:54 PM)Rose of Shushan Wrote:  
Quote:I started raising my own animals. I haven't taken the full steps to become self-suffcient, but I hope to soon. I also have an organic garden, and I make almost everything from scratch at my house. I shop at a local farmer's market. I don't buy any foods that contain refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, msg, gmo's, nitrates, hydrogenated oils, artificial flavoring, etc.
That's awesome Smiley-face-thumb heh for once I totally agree with all your post Biggrin
I too grow some of my own stuff though I don't have a garden (yet Smile )just a couple of big balconies.
It's great that you have animals too,which ones do you have?
I too don't buy any of those foods and spend a large amount of my time in the kitchen.But it's worth it.
Wishing you the best in your self sufficiency endeavours

Thank you, Rose. So, you do some container gardening? That's really cool. It is definately worth the extra time. So far I have chickens, goats, and turkeys. I would like to add a cow and some sheep to that list.
04-20-2011, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2011 11:08 AM by Ne'arYah.)
Peter vision exclusively dealt with people only. His vision takes place in the book of Acts.

And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. (Acts 10:11-15)

The meaning of that vision is revealed in Acts 11:4-18.
Nowhere in his revelation of his dream does he mention food of all types being okay for us to eat. He actually assures us that we shouldn’t (2x’s), which becomes important because this vision takes place after the resurrection of Jesus. Peter says the following.

Acts 11:8But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.
And Acts 10: 14But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

So I read some other post here I wanted to give some insight on that was used to make an effort to show we can eat all things God created.

I saw the position made from the beginning of the book so I’d rather start there and focus on the same passage in fullness.

And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. (Gen 1:29)

So here we see the word “meat”, but we also see that the term meat is not skin meat. The passage is telling us that the herbs would “serve as” meat. This pretty much is verified as we move on to more scriptures only 8 chapters later.

3Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.
4But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat ( Gen 9:3-4)
So things that have life were not to be eaten according to verse 4. However, lets play with the idea that verse 3 is actually telling us that “every moving thing that lives is meat for us to eat.” Does this then mean that we can eat each other, or perhaps kill our neighbors we don’t like and just eat them way (literally)? No way… We can take that portion of scripture literal, but we then find ourselves killing off each other, which we know God doesn’t want.

I think the other was 1 Cor 8:8-9

8But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
9But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak

So lets go back to verse 1 and 4 and then skip back into verse 8-9 and continue with rest of the chapter.

About food offered to idols: (We know that "we all have knowledge." [Knowledge inflates with pride, but love builds up. (1 Cor 8:1)

About eating food offered to idols, then, we know that "an idol is nothing in the world," and that "there is no God but one." For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth—as there are many "gods" and many "lords (1 Cor 8:4)

However, not everyone has this knowledge. In fact, some have been so used to idolatry up until now, that when they eat food offered to an idol, their conscience, being weak, is defiled. Food will not make us acceptable to God. We are not inferior if we don't eat, and we are not better if we do eat. But be careful that this right of yours in no way becomes a stumbling block to the weak. For if somebody sees you, the one who has this knowledge, dining in an idol's temple, won't his weak conscience be encouraged to eat food offered to idols? Then the weak person, the brother for whom Christ died, is ruined by your knowledge. Now when you sin like this against the brothers and wound their weak conscience, you are sinning against Christ. Therefore, if food causes my brother to fall, I will never again eat meat, so that I won't cause my brother to fall (1Cor 8:7-13)

By using 1 Cor 8:1 and the main theme being discussed through out this chapter we start to see what is really being mentioned. What was not being mentioned according to the chapter are the food laws provided in Leviticus, but rather where those foods came from (idol worship sacrifice from the markets).

These gentiles were so use to using their foods for sacrifices to their gods, that they would cook/sell the leftovers to the Jews. The Jews wanted nothing to do with this meat offered to another god. Paul then tells them to not worry about such a thing because El Shaddai rules all. Understanding this gives us a better grasp on Romans 14. Why? Well he just identified what the weaker brother was. By him telling us this in 1 Cor 8 we can now see the story behind Romans 14. The weaker brother was the one that thought about these foods offered to gods and put a fuss-up about it, not the one that doesn’t understand their freedom in Christ (as I was traditionally told).

So when we move into another isolated passage it reads

Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.
(1 Timothy 4:3-6)

I want to pull out one verse to help us line the food laws up correctly here.

1 timothy 4: 5For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer

So the word sanctified in all its renditions simply means to be set-apart, no different than you or I are to walk and live a sanctified (set-apart) life. So when something is sanctified by the word of God… What foods do we apply to that system? It would have to be exactly what Sara was hinting to; the foods mentioned in Leviticus 11.

I think this covers the Old and New Testament.
04-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Quote:Peter vision exclusively dealt with people only. His vision takes place in the book of Acts.

And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. (Acts 10:11-15)

The meaning of that vision is revealed in Acts 11:4-18.
Nowhere in his revelation of his dream does he mention food of all types being okay for us to eat. He actually assures us that we shouldn’t (2x’s), which becomes important because this vision takes place after the resurrection of Jesus. Peter says the following.

Acts 11:8But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.
And Acts 10: 14But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

Nearyah when you say that he actually assures as that we shouldn't (2x) who are you referring to?
It cannot be God since God was the one that said to Peter to kill and eat.It was Peter that refused explaining that He had never eaten anything unclean in his life.

Act 11:7 And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat.
Act 11:8 But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.

So we have God telling Peter to kill and eat.If you say it was never about food and about people was God telling Peter to kill and eat people?
So Peter thinks its about food and tells God that he has never eaten that kind of food vefore since it was unclean to Him.

Here we don't have God reassuring Peter that He doesnt really mean food but people and that its symbolic.Instead God tells Peter

Act 11:9 But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
Act 11:10 And this was done three times: and all were drawn up again into heaven.

So God tells Peter that what God has cleansed he is not to call common.(Still no talk of people at this point)
To me that passage is saying that God does acknowledge to Peter that the food had indeed been unclean but that God has cleansed it.
The people come iafter the vision when the Spirit tells Peter to go with the men.

Act 11:12 And the Spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered into the man's house:

If the Spirit told him it must have been because there was going to be hesitation on Peter's part since the Law would also have forbidden him to go to the Gentile's house.
So in the vision it is initially about food.Since God was teaching Peter that all foods were now clean it went hand in hand with Peter now being able to associate with gentiles.The food issue was the massive issue that caused separation between gentiles and jews because that was one of the reasons God put them into place.Now that the wall of partition was coming down both the food and people issue were addressed so that there would be no division between jews and gentiles.
04-25-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm referring to Peter's comments and how he responded to Yahuah. He said lord I have never ate... and then later in the very next chapter he tells us exactly what the vision was all about, which had nothing to do with food at all.
Those two portions of the story I calculate as two confirmations
04-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Quote:I'm referring to Peter's comments and how he responded to Yahuah. He said lord I have never ate
And what did God reply to Peter?
04-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Are we really going to go down that road Rose? The nothing he made is unclean part by no way indicates eat food. If so, Peter most certainly would have ate whatever was available to him. The right question to ask is what did Peter do? What did Peter say the vision meant to him not us? The following answer is stretch out at least two times in the next chapter. I don’t really think this is debatable considering the revelation and events that took place immediately after the dream, let alone we never are told that Peter ate any food.

I don’t get it. Wasn’t part of the deal made at the Jerusalem council that they were not to eat meat filled with blood (Acts 15:20) and if that is true do you not agree that the Ruach hakodesh (holy spirit) is telling the people that this is not acceptable? Or do you feel Peter story stands isolated (no sarcasm here, but I really am confused).
04-28-2011, 03:09 PM
(04-28-2011 11:47 AM)NearYah Wrote:  Are we really going to go down that road Rose? The nothing he made is unclean part by no way indicates eat food. If so, Peter most certainly would have ate whatever was available to him. The right question to ask is what did Peter do? What did Peter say the vision meant to him not us? The following answer is stretch out at least two times in the next chapter. I don’t really think this is debatable considering the revelation and events that took place immediately after the dream, let alone we never are told that Peter ate any food.

I don’t get it. Wasn’t part of the deal made at the Jerusalem council that they were not to eat meat filled with blood (Acts 15:20) and if that is true do you not agree that the Ruach hakodesh (holy spirit) is telling the people that this is not acceptable? Or do you feel Peter story stands isolated (no sarcasm here, but I really am confused).

It always amazes me how people can start quoting a Scripture and then totally miss what was said in that Scripture.

Acts 15---wasn't just about not eating meat with blood.

It was about those who were trying to impose the keeping of the law of Moses on Jews and Gentiles, which included the issue of clean and unclean food and people. We are saved by faith not the law. This issue is discussed quite deeply in the HR FAQS and MYTHS > http://www.seekgod.ca/hr/hrfaqs3a.htm#acts15
Myth. Acts 15 tells us that we are to learn and keep the law of Moses and that Gentiles who convert can start with just the basic list, but should become fully obedient to the law over time as they grow spiritually.

And similar > http://www.seekgod.ca/hr/hrfaqs3a2.htm#kosher

And it is discussed in other threads here such as:
http://www.seekgod.ca/forum/showthread.php?tid=61

Please take that discussion to the appropriate threads.

Quote:If so, Peter most certainly would have ate whatever was available to him.

Peter was living as the Gentiles lived, eating, sleeping and living with them.

Here's what Paul wrote:

Gal 2:2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.
Gal 2:3 But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:
Gal 2:4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:

Gal 2:5 To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.

Gal 2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
Gal 2:10 Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.
{Notice it doesn't say, remember to keep the law of Moses and the dietary restrictions}
Gal 2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
Gal 2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

Gal 2:13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
Gal 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

So we see, Peter was eating and living the same way the Gentiles were eating and living. Paul clearly stated Peter was not living as the Jews did, which meant he was not following the dietary laws, which also meant he was not keeping the law of Moses. Galatians appears to have taken place before the Acts 15 discussion. Because after Acts 15, it's apparent the issue of keeping the law is put to rest by the apostles themselves.

In another thread I quoted Mathetes, who wrote his letter about 150 A.D. It was noted then and I will quote part of it it again for you:

Quote:......Chapter V. The manners of the Christians.

For the Christians are distinguished from other men neither by country, nor language, nor the customs which they observe. For they neither inhabit cities of their own, nor employ a peculiar form of speech, nor lead a life which is marked out by any singularity. The course of conduct which they follow has not been devised by any speculation or deliberation of inquisitive men; nor do they, like some, proclaim themselves the advocates of any merely human doctrines. But, inhabiting Greek as well as barbarian cities, according as the lot of each of them has determined, and following the customs of the natives in respect to clothing, food, and the rest of their ordinary conduct, they display to us their wonderful and confessedly striking [281] method of life. They dwell in their own countries, but simply as sojourners. As citizens, they share in all things with others, and yet endure all things as if foreigners. Every foreign land is to them as their native country, and every land of their birth as a land of strangers.... http://mb-soft.com/believe/txv/mathetes.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a bit about Acts 15; the apostle Peter makes it clear that Gentiles who come to the faith do not have to be circumcised or >>keep the law of Moses<< which means including the food issues.

Acts 15:5. But
there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses. 6. And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter. 7. And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe. 8. And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; 9. And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. 10. Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? 11. But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Acts 15:13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me: ...

Acts 15:24. Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us
have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment: 25. It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26. Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27. We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth. 28. For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; 29. That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Act 15:30 So when they were dismissed, they came to Antioch: and when they had gathered the multitude together, they delivered the epistle: 31 Which when they had read, they rejoiced for the consolation.

In verse 10 we see what Peter responds to the Pharisee believers that insisted on Law keeping. We see that neither they nor their fathers were able to bear the yoke of the Law and Peter then asked those that insisted on circumcision and the keeping of the Law, why they were forcing this yoke upon Gentile believers. They also had made the keeping of the Law a salvation issue, which many do today as well.

Moses yoke and Jesus' yoke are not the same. Jesus said:

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

In Acts 15 the apostle James actually regarded those Pharisees who believed but were saying that the Gentiles had to be circumcised and keep the Law, as having troubled believers and having subverted their souls. James then stresses that they had given no commandment for Gentiles to get circumcised and keep the Law.

Acts 15:24. Forasmuch as we have heard,
that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

subverting G384
ἀνασκευάζω
anaskeuazō
Thayer Definition:
1) to pack up baggage in order to carry it away to another place
1a) to move one’s furniture (when setting out for some other place)
2) of an enemy
2a) dismantling, plundering
3) of a place
3a) to overthrow, ravage destroy towns lands etc.
4) to turn away violently from a right state, to unsettle, subvert

Part of Speech: verb Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G303 (in the sense of reversal) and a derivative of G4632

The apostles, elders and Holy Spirit agreed with James as we saw in the verses that followed.

We see that the letter which was written in response to this question of a requirement of observing the Law and circumcision is distributed with witnesses to the Gentiles who are coming to the faith. There is no mention of obeying the whole Law or circumcision, just of those four necessary things. There was no mention within the letter of instructions sent by the apostles, elders and church in Jerusalem of them being temporal, or that they should go to synagogues to learn the Law. In fact, Jesus warned that they would be put out of the synagogues.

Paul addressed these specific issues many other times as well, and to the Galatians he wrote:

Galatians 6:12-15 As many as desire to make a fair shew in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised; only lest they should suffer persecution for the cross of Christ. 13. For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh. 14. But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. 15. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

And about food, althought the Scriptures have been given repeatedly, Jesus said it wasn't what goes in to a man that defiles but what they speak aka comes out of them. Paul repeated in various passages that food was not unclean. The fact is, Scriptural doctrine required 2 or 3 witnesses. We have Jesus, Peter, Paul, James, the elders of the church, and outside of Scripture we have such as Pliny, Mathetes and many others as witnesses of the issue of what Christians were about, and food wasn't an issue. That's aside from the very Scriptures which discuss these things and give understandings of the New Covenant which those who do not understand, wrestle with and in turn, overturn many Scriptures.

1 Timothy 4:1-6 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2. Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; 3. Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: 5. For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. 6. If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Well from the out-set we know that what you think was going on in Acts 15 wasn’t because it totally speaks against what we see taking place in Galatians. I don’t have the time nor energy to answer this today. But I will respond to every thing you said one time.

For beginners I give you this to ponder, why does Paul word himself this way in the following

And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers. But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, ( Gal 1:14-15). This should tell you something
04-28-2011, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2011 04:40 PM by Vic.)
(04-28-2011 03:57 PM)NearYah Wrote:  Well from the out-set we know that what you think was going on in Acts 15 wasn’t because it totally speaks against what we see taking place in Galatians. I don’t have the time nor energy to answer this today. But I will respond to every thing you said one time.

For beginners I give you this to ponder, why does Paul word himself this way in the following

And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers. But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, ( Gal 1:14-15). This should tell you something

8836 Yes, Ne'aryah, it tells us that before Christ died and rose again, Paul was zealous in the Jews religion--a pharisee of the pharisees, of the tribe of Benjamin, and so zealous in the Jews religion and in agreement with what the other Pharisees were teaching, he had rejected Christ and persecuted the church after Christ was crucified--both Jews and Gentiles...Acts 7,8; Jesus told the pharisees that they had invalidated the word of God with their traditions. And what did Paul say after he had persecuted the church, and was there even when Stephen was stoned to death and Christ finally delivered Paul; Paul said, and I quote:

Philippians 3:4-18 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: 5. Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews;
as touching the law, a Pharisee; 6. Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. 7. But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. 8. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, 9. And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: 10. That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; 11. If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. 12. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. 13. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14. I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. 15. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. 16. Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing. 17. Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. 18. (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:

I just know you are going to try and teach us the 'true' meaning of Galatians,[and likely hebrews] even though what has been presented concerning Peter living and eating as the Gentiles were, and NOT as the JEWS, which it clearly states, you are going to try and do an end run around all those truths in the Scriptures. Oh please, this is about Peters' vision being about food and people, let's keep that topic here.

In Paul's words, he stated that he was as a Jew to win the Jews to Christ. When he was with Gentiles, he was as a Gentile to win them to Christ. And so much more. That isn't what the law taught. That is what the law of Christ teaches about love and the Truth of the Gospel being for all, and we are one new man, with the things of the law that separated now removed---such as people and food being unclean.

Paul, Peter, Silas, Barnabas and other Jewish believers gave witness they could be with the Gentiles and not live as a Jew. Because Christ delivered the final sacrifice and removed the law out of the way so all people would have equal access based on the very basic reality that ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. The law made no one righteous--and no one or no sacrifice or works can make us clean or acceptable to God, except through Christ, who can make us clean. Acts 15 tells that those Jewish believers who were commanding that new believers be circumcised and keep the law of Moses----were subverting the souls of those they told, according to the apostle James and the other apostles and elders of the churches. Peter said the Gentiles were no different than Jewish believers, and were made clean by faith in Christ, which is the true circumcision of the heart, not the body.

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user