Rico Cortes
07-09-2010, 07:23 PM
RE: Rico Cortes
(07-09-2010 11:37 AM)sheep wrecked Wrote:  
(07-08-2010 08:17 PM)SheitlQueen Wrote:  "Kohen of war"? How can he call himself that with a straight face?
A self declared Jew, and kohen no less....what a joke.

I have heard Messies call the NT the "renewed covenant" but I guess
it just never occured to me that they think it is actually the "old covenant"
renewed and applied to them. How silly.

Rico is from Puerto Rico and believes his lineage is of the Jews, which gives him the self proclaimed authority that he is a Levite/Cohen.

I think they believe that the renewed covenant is kind of blend of old and new. So they mix their "christian" side with the Jewish side by dressing Jewish, doing Jewish things, living like Jews, and pretending they are really Jews and VOILA = they are under a renewed covenant which means they are keeping Torah [which is really "Yeshua" and by the guidance of the Ruach HaKodesh]
SosIcon_runforhills

it's just witchcraft.

Phillipians 4:23 "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-24-2010, 12:58 PM
I have a good friend who has been sending me some of this Rico guy's sermons/teachings. Before listening to anyone's teachings, I like ot go to their website and read their 'Statement of Faith' to see what they are all about...in their own words.

This is what his statement says,
"We believe that YHVH is ECHAD and Yeshua is the SON of YHVH , Saviour, Kohen, King, and the Word of YHVH. We believe that salvation is only thru EMUNAH (faith) and that blessings only comes by obeying the Commandments of YHVH giving on Mount Sinai To MOSHE.

We believe that keeping the Torah is Freedom from legalism and Dogma of Man. We Teach and encourage our brothers in Messiah to Keep the Commandments that YESHUA kept. We believe that the SHABBAT is forever and is the sign between YHVH and His people ISRAEL. We believe in the Restoration of the TWO HOUSES of ISRAEL and the prophetic teachings that go with it.

We believe Israel are the chosen People and that we are to be Grafted to the Tree (Israel) and gentiles are part of the commonwealth of Israel thru Yeshua our Saviour."

Most of this sounds OKAY....in my opinion it is quite vague and generalized. With as many controversial topics that this guy teaches, I would think that he should be able to incorporate them into his statement of faith, so as to make one, big, coherent, cohesive statement. Instead we have a small, vague and, in my opinion seriously lacking statement.

From reading this statement, I had hoped to be able to make some sort of a judgement (not a negative one, but SOME sort of judgement) about the rest of his "body of teaching" based off of something he said. Instead, I found that my judgement is going to be based off of something he DID NOT say.

Notice above where he says, "We believe that salvation is only thru EMUNAH (faith) and that blessings only comes by obeying the Commandments of YHVH giving on Mount Sinai To MOSHE." I do not see anything that says salvation is by GRACE through faith IN CHRIST. To me, that small, simple phrase is important enough to make up an entire statement of faith AND body of teaching. My suspicion is that this guy does not teach true, new covenant theology. That is enough for me to put away his false (aka-lacking vital truth) teaching.

The rest of the stuff about his heritage will only REALLY be able to be meted out by the Lord, but as far as his teaching and theology...I'd stay away from listening to him.

My fear is that one could so easily get ensnared into thinking that this guy is so brilliant (since he teaches so many vague, yet complex topics) that they can lose sight of the simple truth of the Gospel, which truly saves.

Thanks for hearing me out.

With love & blessings.
12-24-2010, 02:59 PM
(12-24-2010 12:58 PM)Adopted Wrote:  I have a good friend who has been sending me some of this Rico guy's sermons/teachings. Before listening to anyone's teachings, I like ot go to their website and read their 'Statement of Faith' to see what they are all about...in their own words.

This is what his statement says,
"We believe that YHVH is ECHAD and Yeshua is the SON of YHVH , Saviour, Kohen, King, and the Word of YHVH. We believe that salvation is only thru EMUNAH (faith) and that blessings only comes by obeying the Commandments of YHVH giving on Mount Sinai To MOSHE.

We believe that keeping the Torah is Freedom from legalism and Dogma of Man. We Teach and encourage our brothers in Messiah to Keep the Commandments that YESHUA kept. We believe that the SHABBAT is forever and is the sign between YHVH and His people ISRAEL. We believe in the Restoration of the TWO HOUSES of ISRAEL and the prophetic teachings that go with it.

We believe Israel are the chosen People and that we are to be Grafted to the Tree (Israel) and gentiles are part of the commonwealth of Israel thru Yeshua our Saviour."

Most of this sounds OKAY....in my opinion it is quite vague and generalized. With as many controversial topics that this guy teaches, I would think that he should be able to incorporate them into his statement of faith, so as to make one, big, coherent, cohesive statement. Instead we have a small, vague and, in my opinion seriously lacking statement.

From reading this statement, I had hoped to be able to make some sort of a judgement (not a negative one, but SOME sort of judgement) about the rest of his "body of teaching" based off of something he said. Instead, I found that my judgement is going to be based off of something he DID NOT say.

Notice above where he says, "We believe that salvation is only thru EMUNAH (faith) and that blessings only comes by obeying the Commandments of YHVH giving on Mount Sinai To MOSHE." I do not see anything that says salvation is by GRACE through faith IN CHRIST. To me, that small, simple phrase is important enough to make up an entire statement of faith AND body of teaching. My suspicion is that this guy does not teach true, new covenant theology. That is enough for me to put away his false (aka-lacking vital truth) teaching.

The rest of the stuff about his heritage will only REALLY be able to be meted out by the Lord, but as far as his teaching and theology...I'd stay away from listening to him.

My fear is that one could so easily get ensnared into thinking that this guy is so brilliant (since he teaches so many vague, yet complex topics) that they can lose sight of the simple truth of the Gospel, which truly saves.

Thanks for hearing me out.

With love & blessings.

Welcomeani Thank you Adopted. Quite frankly there's so much in that statement and his other teachings that is contrary to Scripture, the New Covenant and so on, that your warning is much appreciated.

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-19-2011, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2011 05:55 PM by daughterofthMostHigh.)
RE: Rico Cortez
May I ask a question? What is your definition of a Messianic Jew? Is it someone Jewish (by blood) who has accepted Yeshua as Messiah? Or is it that AND the gentile sojourners who chose to become part of Y'israel by accepting Yeshua as Messiah AND living the Jewish life? That IS what sojourner means. I'm just curious why some of you seem to be so wrapped up in who is a real jew and who isn't. Hashem isn't wrapped up in it. He extended that privilege to those who want to join through His Son Yeshua. Just curious.

----------------------------------------
05-19-2011, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2011 08:25 PM by Rose of Shushan.)
Quote:May I ask a question? What is your definition of a Messianic Jew? Is it someone Jewish (by blood) who has accepted Yeshua as Messiah? Or is it that AND the gentile sojourners who chose to become part of Y'israel by accepting Yeshua as Messiah AND living the Jewish life? That IS what sojourner means. Just curious.
I seem to have answered this question in my reply to you in another thread and I hadn't seen this one yet LOL..as I said there, people are going to vary in what they regard as a messianic jew.
At face value a messianic jew would be someone who has accepted Jesus as Messiah, yet I could understand totally that a jew who has a messianic expectation but doesn't believe in Jesus could also quite logically claim the title of messianic jew.

Quote:Or is it that AND the gentile sojourners who chose to become part of Y'israel by accepting Yeshua as Messiah AND living the Jewish life?

We have this thing called living a jewish life again.BiggrinI will not comment further til I see what you mean since living a jewish life culd mean a billion things.There are so many different ways that different jews live their lives :D

Quote:That IS what sojourner means.
A sojourner in today's terms would be a convert.Yet converts to Judaism don't believe in Jesus.None of the branches of Judaism believe in Him as Messiah and Saviour.

I
Quote:'m just curious why some of you seem to be so wrapped up in who is a real jew and who isn't. Hashem isn't wrapped up in it.
I am curious too why Messianics are so wrapped up in who is a jew and who isn’t and then seem to make a big deal if someone is.

Quote:He extended that privilege to those who want to join through His Son Yeshua.
[b]Do you mean that he makes everyone jews if they believe in Christ? The privileges are not that all become jews but are that they become sons of God
[/b]
Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Gal 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Php 2:15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

1Jn 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

1Jn 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
05-20-2011, 07:55 AM
I'm sorry I didn't get any indication of any other reply. Okay..I'm new posting here so let me try to answer without going up and down.

You are correct in saying that JEWS (non-Messiah believing ones though) do not believe in Yeshua Messiah. Not yet anyway, but I'm going to use this scripture that I used for another post to someone different. 2 Cornithians 3:16 "But, says the Torah, whenever someone turns to Ad-nai the veil is taken away". That goes for JEWS and goyim. There is a veil over the unsaved eyes. It can be lifted upon the acceptance of Ad-nai as Savior. Of course those of us who are 'saved' and filled with the Ruach HaKodesh (Holy Spirit) can see what a difference that makes to us in understand scriptures right? :D
In reference to 'living a jewish life' I should've said, that we practice the Holy Feasts, New Moon observances, Shabbat, and learn to eat better, etc.. Does that make sense?

As for sojourners there are many scriptures about 'strangers and sojourners' that lived among the Israelites as they lived. Father G-d says to include them in whatever the Jews did.

By birth, personally I am not Jewish but I accepted Yeshua as Messiah many years ago. I choose to follow the life He lead as did His disciples, some of which were not Jewish by birth. Yeshua is Jewish and He is the Messiah = Messianic Jew

I hope I answered in a way that helped explain. Shalom! :D
05-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks for your explanations DaughterofthMostHigh

Quote:In reference to 'living a jewish life' I should've said, that we practice the Holy Feasts, New Moon observances, Shabbat, and learn to eat better, etc.. Does that make sense?

I am curious how you observe those feasts since they can no longer be observed like the Torah demanded since there is no longer a Temple or a priesthood that will do the priestly duties.

Quote:By birth, personally I am not Jewish but I accepted Yeshua as Messiah many years ago. I choose to follow the life He lead as did His disciples, some of which were not Jewish by birth. Yeshua is Jewish and He is the Messiah = Messianic Jew

If you were to follow the life He led you would have to move around your native country preaching the Kingdom of God and have nowhere to lay your head.Biggrin
As to his disciples,they were all israelites as far as I know.Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
We do see Peter living like a gentile as did Paul in the sense that they no longer kept the letter of the Law.
So I don't see why you being a gentile would want to take on a yoke which even israelites were not able to bear ,and reject the yoke of Jesus which He Himself said was easy and His burden light.
07-22-2012, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 10:52 PM by Vic.)
We shouldn't be too quick to discredit Rico Cortes. Visit the following sites for confirmation that he was a professional baseball player from 1988-91 with several minor league teams, including two in the Yankees system. Then, he was a scout for the White Sox.

[LINKS EDITED and REMOVED BY VIC----Newbies are not allowed to post links. PLEASE--read the forum rules and abide them as you were asked to by email _ http://www.seekgod.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=28 ]

a discussion of two minor league players, Joe Caruso and Hernan "Rico" Cortes

a summary of Rico's minor league career

- mentions Tony Richie's contract negotiations with Chicago White Sox scout Rico Cortes
07-23-2012, 01:12 PM
(07-22-2012 10:11 PM)watchmanbob Wrote:  We shouldn't be too quick to discredit Rico Cortes. Visit the following sites for confirmation that he was a professional baseball player from 1988-91 with several minor league teams, including two in the Yankees system. Then, he was a scout for the White Sox.

[LINKS EDITED and REMOVED BY VIC----Newbies are not allowed to post links. PLEASE--read the forum rules and abide them as you were asked to by email _ http://www.seekgod.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=28 ]

- mentions Tony Richie's contract negotiations with Chicago White Sox scout Rico Cortes

Hi Bob, As was noted in the thread, his past career was acknowledged, and it has no bearing whatsoever on his ability to teach or not teach Scriptural truths. And it has been discussed what he does promote and it is contrary to Scripture. That's the point.

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
07-23-2012, 11:53 PM
(07-23-2012 01:12 PM)Vic Wrote:  
(07-22-2012 10:11 PM)watchmanbob Wrote:  We shouldn't be too quick to discredit Rico Cortes. Visit the following sites for confirmation that he was a professional baseball player from 1988-91 with several minor league teams, including two in the Yankees system. Then, he was a scout for the White Sox.

Hi Bob, As was noted in the thread, his past career was acknowledged, and it has no bearing whatsoever on his ability to teach or not teach Scriptural truths. And it has been discussed what he does promote and it is contrary to Scripture. That's the point.

Shalom Vicky,

On reviewing the thread on Rico Cortes, it does not seem that his career as a professional baseball player and scout has been acknowledged. His (auto)biography which makes those assertions was acknowledged, but virtually every post regarding his career in baseball casts aspersions on his integrity in making those claims, which undermines his credibility in general, including as a Bible teacher, don't you agree?

So, the purpose of my reply was simply to address the issue of Rico's integrity and credibility, not his teachings, and hopefully to correct the implications of some that all of his teachings are to be disregarded because of his presumed dishonesty.

In fact, having viewed and listened to hundreds of hours of Rico's teachings on video, I can testify that he not only has a sincere hunger for the Truth and a burning desire to share it with others, but an amazing knowledge of the Scriptures in the Hebraic context in which they were written. He is also very self-effacing and open to correction. That does not mean that I agree with all his teachings - I do not. But I do not question his integrity in presenting those teachings.

So, having established, I pray, a somewhat kinder and more accurate understanding of Rico Cortes, the man, I am looking forward to continuing this thread in addressing what you say are his teachings that are "contrary to Scripture."