Pray for those in Haiti
01-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Pray for those in Haiti
Please pray for those in Haiti and those helping them. The horrible devastation of the 7.0 earthquake and aftershocks have literally crushed this poverty stricken and distressed nation.

According to some stats, about 80% is catholic (the official religion), but most of the population practice voodoo (what some would call the national religion), believing it can walk in hand with catholicism or other beliefs. About 20% are some form of protestantism.

The grief and hopelessness of their situation must be overwhelming for so many. May God provide comfort and show He is sovereign even in these things. May many come to Christ because of these things.

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2010, 03:53 PM
RE: Pray for those in Haiti
I read a report that many people were seen walking the streets praying and singing hymns.

"The grief and hopelessness of their situation must be overwhelming for so many. May God provide comfort and show He is sovereign even in these things. May many come to Christ because of these things."
Amen.

Phillipians 4:23 "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."
Find all posts by this user
01-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Being at work on my own at the moment (everyone else on leave) I have had the radio on. Yesterday morning on a talk show the host(a professed atheist) read out comments made by a Pat Robinson, that Haiti was cursed because over 200 years ago their leader/s made a "pact with the devil" and since then they have become an impoverished people suffering many calamities as a nation. The host read out Pat Robinson's more simplistic comments in a very sceptical and mocking way, and I thought: oh no another "Christian" creating and receiving bad press for Christians. (after reading this the host cleverly played a song which questioned and mocked "myths". Then a caller made the comment that Pat Robinson's ideas were obscene and he was possessed of the devil. Then the host played - interestingly, and possibly in ignorance - "Hymn to her" - which I understand is a Wiccan song).

Anyway, all this sparked my interest and I did a bit of research and found that Pat Robinson was not the originator of this information, and that apparently some sort of Voodoo ritual was performed over 200 years ago to free Haiti from French rule. More recently Voodoo was restored as the county's "national religion" and that many people practice both Voodoo and Catholicism together.

God knows what is happening in Haiti and regardless of comments and history we should pray that (as Vic said) many may come to Christ because of these things. I think the host of the talk show needs prayer too.

01-15-2010, 07:27 PM
(01-15-2010 05:47 PM)Mary Wrote:  Being at work on my own at the moment (everyone else on leave) I have had the radio on. Yesterday morning on a talk show the host(a professed atheist) read out comments made by a Pat Robinson, that Haiti was cursed because over 200 years ago their leader/s made a "pact with the devil" and since then they have become an impoverished people suffering many calamities as a nation. The host read out Pat Robinson's more simplistic comments in a very sceptical and mocking way, and I thought: oh no another "Christian" creating and receiving bad press for Christians. (after reading this the host cleverly played a song which questioned and mocked "myths". Then a caller made the comment that Pat Robinson's ideas were obscene and he was possessed of the devil. Then the host played - interestingly, and possibly in ignorance - "Hymn to her" - which I understand is a Wiccan song).

Anyway, all this sparked my interest and I did a bit of research and found that Pat Robinson was not the originator of this information, and that apparently some sort of Voodoo ritual was performed over 200 years ago to free Haiti from French rule. More recently Voodoo was restored as the county's "national religion" and that many people practice both Voodoo and Catholicism together.

God knows what is happening in Haiti and regardless of comments and history we should pray that (as Vic said) many may come to Christ because of these things. I think the host of the talk show needs prayer too.

I found the actual CNN interview with Pat where he states the curse about Haiti. What is as tragic are his remarks about the Dominican Republic. It is not a rich nation, but is devastated by the poor. His agenda to blame curses and give misinformation when people are in such horrible circumstances is appalling.

http://www.topsocialite.com/pat-robinson...the-devil/
01-19-2010, 03:50 PM
These verses were brought to my attention through a sermon by David Legge of Preach the Word:
Luke Chp 13 vs 1 - 5

There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

This is God's view - we are not to think of Haitians as "evil sinners who deserve this disaster" (because that is essentially what Pat Robinson is saying) but we should repent, knowing this could happen to any of us, to our loved ones, to our land.

Another verse brought to mind is John 9: 1-3
And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

May God's works be made manifest in this disaster.