Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Promises and Prophecies of the OT
03-09-2011, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 11:47 AM by Vic.)
Promises and Prophecies of the OT
Hi all, Th_airplane

This is a split topic from the Peter's Vision of the Sheet thread.

Here's the deal. This section can take prophecies from the OT and discuss whether each have been fufilled, what they mean or not, who they pertain to and why, etc. That means, regarding Israel, the Messiah, the salvation of God, Lost tribes, Gentiles, etc ....it can be discussed here. If we find that something needs a dedicated thread, then we can start a new thread for that particular topic. 10167

If you are not sure about the topic/prophecy you want to discuss and how to present it or if it fits here, please send me a pm or email. Sign0085 Also if someone is not understanding what you might be asking or stating, please do try to clarify what you mean. It's not always easy to convey what we mean when coming from different backgrounds or different countries and cultures.

Please keep in mind this can be a tough arena, and try to remember that people have differing beliefs. Please consider that in how you enter into the conversation as well as the conduct while in it. Interview

Let's enjoy dialoguing with each other and digging into God's Word to gain understanding. 288b

It's from Him that any understanding of the Scriptures comes.
47b20s0

Psa 119:103 How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Psa 119:104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
Psa 119:105 NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Psa 119:124 Deal with thy servant according unto thy mercy, and teach me thy statutes.
Psa 119:125 I am thy servant; give me understanding, that I may know thy testimonies.

Psa 119:128 Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.
Psa 119:129 PE. Thy testimonies are wonderful: therefore doth my soul keep them.
Psa 119:130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Thankyou8

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2011, 11:58 AM
RE: Promises and Prophecies of the OT
Some teach that this prophecy in Hosea chap. 3 is applicable to modern day Israel. Is this a possiblity or are the following verses addressing Israel only in the time before the 2nd temple was built? Personally, when I see the phrase "latter days", it's difficult for me not to take it to mean literally.

Hos 3:4-5

4 For the children of Israel shall abide many days without a king, and without a prince, and without a sacrifice, and without an image, and without an ephod, and without teraphim:

5 Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the Lord their God, and David their king; and shall fear the Lord and his goodness in the latter days.
KJV
Find all posts by this user
05-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Quote:Hos 3:4-5

4 For the children of Israel shall abide many days without a king, and without a prince, and without a sacrifice, and without an image, and without an ephod, and without teraphim:

5 Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the Lord their God, and David their king; and shall fear the Lord and his goodness in the latter days.
KJV

Hosea prophesied in the 8th BC and was alive during the reign of the last kings of Israel and during the reigns of Uzziah, Jotham ,Ahaz and Hezekiah.
I think his prophecy is relevant to the fact that He was warning what would befall Israel and this involved the loss of a King and ability to sacrifice.We know in retrospect that it did happen and that they were eventually exiled to Assyria where they lost the ability to govern themselves and have a king.
The prophet Azariah refers to this in the book of Chronicles

2Ch 15:1 And the Spirit of God came upon Azariah the son of Oded:
2Ch 15:2 And he went out to meet Asa, and said unto him, Hear ye me, Asa, and all Judah and Benjamin; The LORD is with you, while ye be with him; and if ye seek him, he will be found of you; but if ye forsake him, he will forsake you.
2Ch 15:3 Now for a long season Israel hath been without the true God, and without a teaching priest, and without law.
2Ch 15:4 But when they in their trouble did turn unto the LORD God of Israel, and sought him, he was found of them.
2Ch 15:5 And in those times there was no peace to him that went out, nor to him that came in, but great vexations were upon all the inhabitants of the countries.
2Ch 15:6 And nation was destroyed of nation, and city of city: for God did vex them with all adversity.
2Ch 15:7 Be ye strong therefore, and let not your hands be weak: for your work shall be rewarded.
2Ch 15:8 And when Asa heard these words, and the prophecy of Oded the prophet, he took courage, and put away the abominable idols out of all the land of Judah and Benjamin, and out of the cities which he had taken from mount Ephraim, and renewed the altar of the LORD, that was before the porch of the LORD.
2Ch 15:9 And he gathered all Judah and Benjamin, and the strangers with them out of Ephraim and Manasseh, and out of Simeon: for they fell to him out of Israel in abundance, when they saw that the LORD his God was with him.

I find it interesting also that the verses speak of Israel being without an image,ephod and teraphim respectively.I see that as referring to how their idolatrous way of worship would also cease, probably when they saw how uselss it had been and the judgement it brought upon them.
05-28-2011, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2011 09:35 PM by sari83.)
(05-15-2011 06:20 PM)Rose of Shushan Wrote:  

KJV

Hosea prophesied in the 8th BC and was alive during the reign of the last kings of Israel and during the reigns of Uzziah, Jotham ,Ahaz and Hezekiah.
I think his prophecy is relevant to the fact that He was warning what would befall Israel and this involved the loss of a King and ability to sacrifice.We know in retrospect that it did happen and that they were eventually exiled to Assyria where they lost the ability to govern themselves and have a king.

2Ch 15:2 And he went out to meet Asa, and said unto him, Hear ye me, Asa, and all Judah and Benjamin; The LORD is with you, while ye be with him; and if ye seek him, he will be found of you; but if ye forsake him, he will forsake you.
2Ch 15:3 Now for a long season Israel hath been without the true God, and without a teaching priest, and without law.
2Ch 15:4 But when they in their trouble did turn unto the LORD God of Israel, and sought him, he was found of them.
2Ch 15:5 And in those times there was no peace to him that went out, nor to him that came in, but great vexations were upon all the inhabitants of the countries.
2Ch 15:6 And nation was destroyed of nation, and city of city: for God did vex them with all adversity.
2Ch 15:7 Be ye strong therefore, and let not your hands be weak: for your work shall be rewarded.
2Ch 15:8 And when Asa heard these words, and the prophecy of Oded the prophet, he took courage, and put away the abominable idols out of all the land of Judah and Benjamin, and out of the cities which he had taken from mount Ephraim, and renewed the altar of the LORD, that was before the porch of the LORD.
2Ch 15:9 And he gathered all Judah and Benjamin, and the strangers with them out of Ephraim and Manasseh, and out of Simeon: for they fell to him out of Israel in abundance, when they saw that the LORD his God was with him.

I find it interesting also that the verses speak of Israel being without an image,ephod and teraphim respectively.I see that as referring to how their idolatrous way of worship would also cease, probably when they saw how uselss it had been and the judgement it brought upon them.

There does seem to be connection between Hosea 3:4-5 and 2 Chronicles 15:3-4, but with the phrase "latter days" I do think it is plausible that this prophecy has a modern day application, and that "David their king" could be referring to the Messiah.

I looked up the word, achariyth #319 that KJV translated as latter. It can literally mean, end.

Here are some of the other verses were achariyth is used:

Gen 49:1 And Jacob called unto his sons, and said, Gather yourselves together, that I may tell you that which shall befall you in the last [#319 achariyth] days.
(KJV)

Num 23:10
Who can count the dust of Jacob, and the number of the fourth part of Israel? Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end [#319 achariyth] be like his! (KJV)

Deut 4:30-31
When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter [#319 achariyth] days, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice; (For the LORD thy God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them. (KJV)
05-29-2011, 10:36 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2011 10:57 AM by Deborah446.)

KJV

<< Hosea 10 >>
12Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the LORD, till he come and rain righteousness upon you.

13Ye have plowed wickedness, ye have reaped iniquity; ye have eaten the fruit of lies: because thou didst trust in thy way, in the multitude of thy mighty men.

14Therefore shall a tumult arise among thy people, and all thy fortresses shall be spoiled, as Shalman spoiled Betharbel in the day of battle: the mother was dashed in pieces upon her children.

15So shall Bethel do unto you because of your great wickedness: in a morning shall the king of Israel utterly be cut off.

ONGOING PROPHECY, PATTERN IN BIBLE OF SAME THINGS HAPPENING OVER AND OVER. TRIBES OF ISRAEL ARE OPPRESSED (THEY ARE CHOSEN AND NOT BECAUSE OF LARGEST IN NUMBER) THEY CRY TO GOD AND GOD HELPS THE PEOPLE AND THEY ARE HELPED AND THEN THEY FORGET. GODS PEOPLE ARE OUTNUMBERED IN THIS WORLD. FULFILLED AND TO HAPPEN AGAIN AND AGAIN

<< Hosea 6 >>
King James Version
1Come, and let us return unto the LORD: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up.

2After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.

3Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the LORD: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.

4O Ephraim, what shall I do unto thee? O Judah, what shall I do unto thee? for your goodness is as a morning cloud, and as the early dew it goeth away.

5Therefore have I hewed them by the prophets; I have slain them by the words of my mouth: and thy judgments are as the light that goeth forth.

6For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

7But they like men have transgressed the covenant: there have they dealt treacherously against me.

8Gilead is a city of them that work iniquity, and is polluted with blood.

9And as troops of robbers wait for a man, so the company of priests murder in the way by consent: for they commit lewdness.

10I have seen an horrible thing in the house of Israel: there is the whoredom of Ephraim, Israel is defiled.

11Also, O Judah, he hath set an harvest for thee, when I returned the captivity of my people.

LATER IN HOSEA - ATTEMPTED TO POST MOST OF THE BOOK OF HOSEA BUT IT DIDN'T WORK.

4I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him.

5I will be as the dew unto Israel: he shall grow as the lily, and cast forth his roots as Lebanon.

6His branches shall spread, and his beauty shall be as the olive tree, and his smell as Lebanon.

7They that dwell under his shadow shall return; they shall revive as the corn, and grow as the vine: the scent thereof shall be as the wine of Lebanon.

8Ephraim shall say, What have I to do any more with idols? I have heard him, and observed him: I am like a green fir tree. From me is thy fruit found.

9Who is wise, and he shall understand these things? prudent, and he shall know them? for the ways of the LORD are right, and the just shall walk in them: but the transgressors shall fall therein.

HAVE THE SHEEP OF THE TRIBE OF ISRAEL RETURNED TO THE LORD IN PERFECT LOVE SPOKEN OF IN 1 JOHN? LOOKS LIKE THEY HAVE HERE AND THERE BUT NOT THROUGHOUT SUSTAINED GENERATIONS AND NOT AS A WHOLE. THROUGHOUT HISTORY THE TRIBE OF ISRAEL HAS HAD GREAT TROUBLE SEPARATING ITSELF FROM THE WAYS OF THE HEATHEN.
PEOPLE WILL KNOW GOD IS GOD IN THE GREAT TRIBULATION

[quote='Vic' pid='7067' dateline='1299689852']
Hi all, Th_airplane

Here's the deal. This section can take prophecies from the OT and discuss whether each have been fufilled, what they mean or not, who they pertain to and why, etc. That means, regarding Israel, the Messiah, the salvation of God, Lost tribes, Gentiles, etc ....it can be discussed here. If we find that something needs a dedicated thread, then we can start a new thread for that particular topic. 10167

If you are not sure about the topic/prophecy you want to discuss and how to present it or if it fits here, please send me a pm or email. Sign0085 Also if someone is not understanding what you might be asking or stating, please do try to clarify what you mean. It's not always easy to convey what we mean when coming from different backgrounds or different countries and cultures.

Please keep in mind this can be a tough arena, and try to remember that people have differing beliefs. Please consider that in how you enter into the conversation as well as the conduct while in it. Interview

Let's enjoy dialoguing with each other and digging into God's Word to gain understanding. 288b

It's from Him that any understanding of the Scriptures comes.
47b20s0

Psa 119:103 How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Psa 119:104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
Psa 119:105 NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Psa 119:124 Deal with thy servant according unto thy mercy, and teach me thy statutes.
Psa 119:125 I am thy servant; give me understanding, that I may know thy testimonies.

Psa 119:128 Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.
Psa 119:129 PE. Thy testimonies are wonderful: therefore doth my soul keep them.
Psa 119:130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Thankyou8

[color=#1E90FF][b]Hi all, Th_airplane

<< Zechariah 8 >>
King James Version
1Again the word of the LORD of hosts came to me, saying, 2Thus saith the LORD of hosts; I was jealous for Zion with great jealousy, and I was jealous for her with great fury. 3Thus saith the LORD; I am returned unto Zion, and will dwell in the midst of Jerusalem: and Jerusalem shall be called a city of truth; and the mountain of the LORD of hosts the holy mountain. 4Thus saith the LORD of hosts; There shall yet old men and old women dwell in the streets of Jerusalem, and every man with his staff in his hand for very age. 5And the streets of the city shall be full of boys and girls playing in the streets thereof. 6Thus saith the LORD of hosts; If it be marvellous in the eyes of the remnant of this people in these days, should it also be marvellous in mine eyes? saith the LORD of hosts. 7Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Behold, I will save my people from the east country, and from the west country; 8And I will bring them, and they shall dwell in the midst of Jerusalem: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God, in truth and in righteousness.

9Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Let your hands be strong, ye that hear in these days these words by the mouth of the prophets, which were in the day that the foundation of the house of the LORD of hosts was laid, that the temple might be built. 10For before these days there was no hire for man, nor any hire for beast; neither was there any peace to him that went out or came in because of the affliction: for I set all men every one against his neighbour. 11But now I will not be unto the residue of this people as in the former days, saith the LORD of hosts. 12For the seed shall be prosperous; the vine shall give her fruit, and the ground shall give her increase, and the heavens shall give their dew; and I will cause the remnant of this people to possess all these things. 13And it shall come to pass, that as ye were a curse among the heathen, O house of Judah, and house of Israel; so will I save you, and ye shall be a blessing: fear not, but let your hands be strong.

14For thus saith the LORD of hosts; As I thought to punish you, when your fathers provoked me to wrath, saith the LORD of hosts, and I repented not: 15So again have I thought in these days to do well unto Jerusalem and to the house of Judah: fear ye not. 16These are the things that ye shall do; Speak ye every man the truth to his neighbour; execute the judgment of truth and peace in your gates: 17And let none of you imagine evil in your hearts against his neighbour; and love no false oath: for all these are things that I hate, saith the LORD.

18And the word of the LORD of hosts came unto me, saying, 19Thus saith the LORD of hosts; The fast of the fourth month, and the fast of the fifth, and the fast of the seventh, and the fast of the tenth, shall be to the house of Judah joy and gladness, and cheerful feasts; therefore love the truth and peace.

20Thus saith the LORD of hosts; It shall yet come to pass, that there shall come people, and the inhabitants of many cities: 21And the inhabitants of one city shall go to another, saying, Let us go speedily to pray before the LORD, and to seek the LORD of hosts: I will go also. 22Yea, many people and strong nations shall come to seek the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem, and to pray before the LORD. 23Thus saith the LORD of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.

<< Zechariah 11 >>
King James Version
1Open thy doors, O Lebanon, that the fire may devour thy cedars.

2Howl, fir tree; for the cedar is fallen; because the mighty are spoiled: howl, O ye oaks of Bashan; for the forest of the vintage is come down.

3There is a voice of the howling of the shepherds; for their glory is spoiled: a voice of the roaring of young lions; for the pride of Jordan is spoiled.

4Thus saith the LORD my God; Feed the flock of the slaughter; 5Whose possessors slay them, and hold themselves not guilty: and they that sell them say, Blessed be the LORD; for I am rich: and their own shepherds pity them not. 6For I will no more pity the inhabitants of the land, saith the LORD: but, lo, I will deliver the men every one into his neighbour's hand, and into the hand of his king: and they shall smite the land, and out of their hand I will not deliver them.

7And I will feed the flock of slaughter, even you, O poor of the flock. And I took unto me two staves; the one I called Beauty, and the other I called Bands; and I fed the flock. 8Three shepherds also I cut off in one month; and my soul lothed them, and their soul also abhorred me. 9Then said I, I will not feed you: that that dieth, let it die; and that that is to be cut off, let it be cut off; and let the rest eat every one the flesh of another. 10And I took my staff, even Beauty, and cut it asunder, that I might break my covenant which I had made with all the people. 11And it was broken in that day: and so the poor of the flock that waited upon me knew that it was the word of the LORD. 12And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. 13And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD. 14Then I cut asunder mine other staff, even Bands, that I might break the brotherhood between Judah and Israel.

15And the LORD said unto me, Take unto thee yet the instruments of a foolish shepherd. 16For, lo, I will raise up a shepherd in the land, which shall not visit those that be cut off, neither shall seek the young one, nor heal that that is broken, nor feed that that standeth still: but he shall eat the flesh of the fat, and tear their claws in pieces.

17Woe to the idol shepherd that leaveth the flock! the sword shall be upon his arm, and upon his right eye: his arm shall be clean dried up, and his right eye shall be utterly darkened.

CH 11 VS 1 - DID SOMETHING LIKE LEBANON OPENING IT'S DOORS TAKE PLACE ON 7-12-06?
05-29-2011, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2011 01:20 PM by Vic.)
My mistake in not closing this thread and keeping it an Introduction for the section. Please consider discontinuing further topics in this particular thread. Thank you.

Vic
SeekGod.ca

3John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-22-2013, 08:52 AM
David, as well as Michael, are also called "princes"-a prince is a son of a king (the King) "Instead of thy fathers shall be thy children whom thou mayest make princes in all the earth"